1-D Kinematics Equations involving time & distance

In summary: Alternatively, you could try dividing the final result by two to get a more accurate approximation of how high the pot goes.In summary, the flowerpot went 1.7 meters above the window top when it was dropped from the height of 2.25 meters.
razrsharp67
Hey, I've been working on this problem for quite a while now, and I can't seem to come up with the solution. I would love some help in the right direction.

Homework Statement

Someone spots a flowerpot that sails first up and then down past an open window. The pot was in view for a total of 0.61 s, and the top-to-bottom height of the window is 2.25 m. How high above the window top did the flowerpot go?

ttotal= .61 s
Height = 2.25 m

Homework Equations

Vf = Vi + axt
Xf = Xi + 1/2(Vi + Vf)t

The Attempt at a Solution

To try and solve it, I figured that if the pot was in view for .61s total, it was .305s on each trip. So I figured its Vi = 2.25m/.305s = 7.377 m/s. So if its Vi=7.37, then it would take .7527 seconds to slow to 0m/s due to -9.8m/s2 for gravity. After .7527 seconds it would fly to 2.77m, making it .53 meters above the window. Unfortunately, this is not the correct answer. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated an average velocity that is neither vbot or vtop. Since you know a lot about x and t, why not use x = x0 + vx0t + axt2/2, (coordinate system: +x going up).

Plugging my knowns into that equation still comes out to be the same thing though.

X = 0 + (7.377 * .7527) + (-9.8 * (.7527 ^ 2) * .5)
X = 0 + (5.55) + (-2.776)
X = 2.776
2.776 - 2.25 = .53 meters, which is still wrong.

Is my problem coming from the fact that I can't actually split the .61s in half for each trip because they wouldn't be evenly distributed, making my initial velocity wrong? How do I fix that?

razrsharp67 said:
Is my problem coming from the fact that I can't actually split the .61s in half for each trip because they wouldn't be evenly distributed, making my initial velocity wrong? How do I fix that?

No, that's not your problem; The trajectory is symmetrical so it's split half and half as you've done.

Perhaps concentrate on finding the required velocities Vbot and Vtop to begin with. You know that on the way up the pot will have some "initial" velocity at the bottom (Vbot) and must traverse the span of the window (known) in a given time (known). What equation governs the distance with respect to time?

So, trying that:

2.25 = 0 + Vi * .305 + (.5 * -9.8 * (.305 ^ 2))
2.25 = .305Vi + (-.455)
2.70 = .305Vi
Vi = 8.87 m/s

t = -8.87 / -9.8 = .905 sec

Xf = 0 + 1/2 * (8.8 - 0) * .905 = 3.982 m

3.982m - 2.25m = 1.732 m

Which is still wrong. Ugh.

razrsharp67 said:
So, trying that:

2.25 = 0 + Vi * .305 + (.5 * -9.8 * (.305 ^ 2))
2.25 = .305Vi + (-.455)
2.70 = .305Vi
Vi = 8.87 m/s

t = -8.87 / -9.8 = .905 sec
Okay so far.
Xf = 0 + 1/2 * (8.8 - 0) * .905 = 3.982 m
Whoa! What equation is that? Why not use [itex]d = v_o t - \frac{1}{2}g t^2[/itex]?

Alternatively, use energy conservation to find the height :wink:

Last edited:
gneill said:
Whoa! What equation is that? Why not use [itex]d = v_o t - \frac{1}{2}g t^2[/itex]?

So plugging into that one:

d = 8.8 * .905 - (.5 * -9.8 * (.905^2)) = 11.97 m
11.97 m - 2.25 m = 9.7m.

Which is still wrong. Thanks for the help Gneill, sorry I am so difficult.

The "-" sign in the equation was intended to make the acceleration negative. g is a positive constant (9.807 m/s2). The double negative has made the calculation invalid.

So instead, its:

7.964 - .5 * 9.8 * (.905^2) = 3.950

3.950 - 2.25 = 1.7 meters above the window?

razrsharp67 said:
So instead, its:

7.964 - .5 * 9.8 * (.905^2) = 3.950

3.950 - 2.25 = 1.7 meters above the window?

You seem surprised. Why don't you verify by checking the velocity of a pot dropped from that height when it reaches the bottom sill of the window? :smile:

1.7 still came back as incorrect :P

razrsharp67 said:
1.7 still came back as incorrect :P

You may need to retain a few more decimal places in your intermediate results and supply another significant figure in your answer.

What are the 1-D Kinematics Equations?

The 1-D Kinematics Equations are a set of mathematical equations used to describe the motion of an object in one dimension (usually along a straight line). They involve the variables of time, distance, velocity, and acceleration.

What is the difference between time and distance in 1-D Kinematics?

Time is a measure of the duration of an event, while distance is a measure of how far an object has traveled. In 1-D Kinematics, time is typically represented by the variable t, and distance is represented by the variable d.

How are the 1-D Kinematics Equations derived?

The 1-D Kinematics Equations are derived from the fundamental principles of physics, such as the equations of motion and the laws of conservation of energy and momentum. They are also derived from experimental observations and data.

Can the 1-D Kinematics Equations be used to describe motion in more than one dimension?

No, the 1-D Kinematics Equations are specifically designed to describe motion in only one dimension. For motion in two or three dimensions, other equations and principles of physics, such as vector algebra and calculus, must be used.

How can the 1-D Kinematics Equations be applied in real-world situations?

The 1-D Kinematics Equations can be used to solve a variety of problems involving motion in one dimension, such as calculating the speed of a moving vehicle, the distance traveled by a falling object, or the acceleration of a roller coaster. They are also used in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and sports to analyze and predict the motion of objects.