Dart thrown horizontally hits point below target in 0.20 s

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kpgabriel
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Kpgabriel
Messages
36
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A dart is thrown horizontally toward the bull's-eye, point P on the dart board in the figure, with an initial speed of 8.9 m/s. It hits at point Q on the rim, vertically below P 0.20 s later.
a) What is the distance PQ?
b) how far away from the dart board did the dart thrower stand?

Homework Equations


x=xi + .5(vi+vf)t
vf^2= vi^2 + 2a(xf-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution


I am not really sure how to begin this problem. I know the knowns are
vi = 8.9 m/s
t= 0.20 s
vf = 0 m/s
And I believe I need to use one of the kinematic equations.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can we start with the basics. What do those Relevant Equations represent, and where should they be used ?

To help a bit further, ##v_f## is not zero. We want velocity when the dart arrives, not when it's embedded in the board.
 
Last edited:
hmmm27 said:
Can we start with the basics. What do those Relevant Equations represent, and where should they be used ?

To help a bit further, ##v_f## is not zero. We want velocity when the dart arrives, not when it's embedded in the board.
I got the distance away from the board solved but I do not think that final velocity is needed to find the y-component from P to Q. Instead, I tried to solve for the variables related to y and got.
vi = 0m/s
a = -9.8 m/s^2
t = 0.20s
Δy = ?
 
Okay, so what equation should be used, that you can plug those numbers into to get your Δy.
 
hmmm27 said:
Okay, so what equation should be used, that you can plug those numbers into to get your Δy.
you were right about the velocity. I found it with respect to y using v = vi +at and then substituting into Δy = .5(vi+vf)t which gave me the answer.
 
k, as long as you didn't use the same ##v_i## in 'a' as 'b'. You could have gone straight to ##d=v_it+at^2/2##
 
Last edited: