1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1-D Projectile Motion: Throwing a Rock

1. Jan 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You throw a small rock straight up from the edge of a highway bridge that crosses a river. The rock passes you on its way down, 5.00 s after it was thrown. What is the speed of the rock just before it reaches the water 21.0 m below the point where the rock left your hand? Ignore air resistance.

2. Relevant equations

y= y0+v0t-1/2*gt2
    v= v0 -1/2*gt.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used v= v0 -1/2*gt to arrive at the velocity that the rock was going at the moment it was passing the hand. My answer was v= 0- 1/2*(9.8m/s2), which gave me 24.5m/s. I have an idea of where to go from here. I know I need to use v2 − 2g(y − y 0).

My issue is that I don't want to just memorize the equation. I need help deriving it from the two basic equations: y= y0+v0t-1/2*gt2 and v= v0 -1/2*gt. Once I do that, I believe I can finish the problem on my own.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, you want to derive?

##v^2 - u^2 = 2as##

4. Jan 26, 2017 #3
    I think so, although I'm not sure what the s and u are for.

5. Jan 26, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##u## is the initial velocity and ##s## is the displacement. I'm not sure why ##s## is used, but it's fairly standard.

6. Jan 26, 2017 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's my favourite derivation, as it reflects the way I think about kinematic problems:

##v^2-u^2 = (v-u)(v+u)##

Now:

##v-u = at##

Because the difference between the final and initial velocities is just the acceleration multiplied by the time.

And:

##\frac{v+u}{2} = v_{avg} \ \ ## is the average velocity (when you have constant acceleration). Hence:

##v+u = 2v_{avg}##

And

##s = v_{avg}t \ \ ## because the displacement is simply the average velocity multiplied by the time.

So, putting this all together:

##(v-u)(v+u) = at(v+u) = 2atv_{avg} = 2as##

7. Jan 26, 2017 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to check where you got this second equation from.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted