1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1 kg of melting ice and 1 kg of boiling water are mixed

1. Dec 12, 2011 #1
    1. 1 kg of melting ice and 1 kg of boiling water are mixed: Which temperature will have the mixture when all ice is liquefied ?

I dont know if there is formula

The attempt solution: I dont know this question is really hard there are not enough information

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2011 #2
    Re: THermodynamics

I would start by assuming atmospheric pressure, also assuming the ice is at 0°C and boiling water is at 100°C.

4. Dec 12, 2011 #3

mmm 50C ? i dont know :(

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4

From my perspective, I would think that you need more information to accurately answer this question. Such as the latent heat of fusion of ice for one.

6. Dec 12, 2011 #5

I agree with Taxonfear... solid ice at 0 centigrade has to change into water at 0 centigrade
    Then water at 0 centigrade has to be heated to the final temp. All of the energy to do this comes from water at 100 centigrade

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook