1000-year old Viking treasure hoard found in Scotland

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, a Viking sword that was made with advanced technology from the future has been discovered by a treasure hunter in Scotland. Experts are praising the find as one of the country's most significant.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
A hoard of Viking gold and silver artifacts dating back over 1,000 years has been discovered by a treasure hunter with a metal detector in Scotland, in a find hailed by experts as one of the country's most significant.

http://news.yahoo.com/1000-old-viking-treasure-hoard-found-scotland-111420299.html

I would love to be the person to find such a hoard. Lucky man.

Physics news on Phys.org
What a trill! Besides the money value, just bringing back history that has long been lost must feel amazing.

Not only that, this is the SECOND time he's hit paydirt. He and another guy (his brother I think but I may remember incorrectly) some time back found I think it was 500 gold coins that were a viking hoard

EDIT: OOPS ... it occurred to me this might have been mentioned in the link so I checked and it was. It wasn't viking coins, just similar age and it wasn't his brother.

Evo said:
http://news.yahoo.com/1000-old-viking-treasure-hoard-found-scotland-111420299.html

I would love to be the person to find such a hoard. Lucky man.
Nice!

Here is an article with more pics - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-29582866
The pot is described as "possibly the largest silver Carolingian pot ever discovered, with its lid still in place." Wow. There is also an image of the cross.

. . .
then I turned it over and wiped my thumb across it and I saw the Saltire-type of design and knew instantly it was Viking.

"Then my senses exploded, I went into shock, endorphins flooded my system and away I went stumbling towards my colleagues waving it in the air."

I've been reading some the Celtic and Pictish history, and certainly the Vikings were there in the 8th century. Apparently there is some controversy over the initial interactions between the Vikings and the inhabitants of Caledonia.

I would love to have him allow me to go on hunts with him.. I'd scrub pots, do the laundry and scoop out the cat box.

I saw an article about this the other day. It never ceases to amaze me how much hidden treasure there still is out there. You'd think every square inch of the British Iles would have been dug up several times over by now since a thousand years ago, but apparently not.

zoobyshoe said:
I saw an article about this the other day. It never ceases to amaze me how much hidden treasure there still is out there. You'd think every square inch of the British Iles would have been dug up several times over by now since a thousand years ago, but apparently not.

Yes. King John's crown jewels are still missing.

It was recorded by contemporary chroniclers that King John's crown jewels and other valuable crown possessions were lost in marshland when the horse-drawn baggage train of his army attempted to cross without a guide the causeway and ford across the mouth of the Wellstream on 12 October 1216 in passing from Bishop's Lynn (now King's Lynn) via Wisbech en route to Sleaford. (ref)
It's only 250 miles away.

ps. I'm not really a history buff, nor a treasure hunter. I just learned this a couple of weeks ago looking for Jonathan Scott's landmark.

zoobyshoe said:

I am still digging zoobyshoe, finds are scares but odd coin still comes up, i am still waiting for my first hoard.

Likes OmCheeto
wolram said:
I am still digging zoobyshoe, finds are scares but odd coin still comes up, i am still waiting for my first hoard.
Best of luck! I hope you find something interesting.

viking-sword-future.jpg

The purity of this is interesting.
http://www.ancient-origins.net/news...us-viking-sword-made-technology-future-001944

1. What is the significance of the Viking treasure hoard found in Scotland?

The discovery of this Viking treasure hoard is significant because it sheds light on the history and culture of the Vikings in Scotland. It provides insight into their trading routes, wealth, and possible interactions with the local population.

2. How was the treasure hoard found?

The treasure hoard was found by a metal detectorist who was searching in a field in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. The detectorist reported the discovery to the local authorities, who then excavated the site with the help of archaeologists.

3. What items were found in the treasure hoard?

The treasure hoard contained a variety of silver and gold items, including arm rings, brooches, ingots, and coins. Some of the coins were minted in Dublin and the Middle East, indicating the extensive trade network of the Vikings.

4. How old is the treasure hoard?

The treasure hoard has been estimated to be over 1000 years old, dating back to the 9th or 10th century. This is a significant time period in Viking history, as it was a time of great expansion and exploration for the Viking people.

5. What will happen to the treasure hoard now that it has been found?

The treasure hoard will go through a process of conservation and analysis to determine its historical and cultural significance. It will then likely be displayed in a museum for the public to see and learn from. The finder of the hoard may also receive a monetary reward for their discovery.