Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1000-year old Viking treasure hoard found in Scotland

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

http://news.yahoo.com/1000-old-viking-treasure-hoard-found-scotland-111420299.html

I would love to be the person to find such a hoard. Lucky man.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2
    What a trill! Besides the money value, just bringing back history that has long been lost must feel amazing.

4. Oct 13, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not only that, this is the SECOND time he's hit paydirt. He and another guy (his brother I think but I may remember incorrectly) some time back found I think it was 500 gold coins that were a viking hoard

EDIT: OOPS ... it occurred to me this might have been mentioned in the link so I checked and it was. It wasn't viking coins, just similar age and it wasn't his brother.

5. Oct 14, 2014 #4

Astronuc

Nice!

Here is an article with more pics - http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-29582866
    The pot is described as "possibly the largest silver Carolingian pot ever discovered, with its lid still in place." Wow. There is also an image of the cross.

I've been reading some the Celtic and Pictish history, and certainly the Vikings were there in the 8th century. Apparently there is some controversy over the initial interactions between the Vikings and the inhabitants of Caledonia.

6. Oct 14, 2014 #5

Evo

I would love to have him allow me to go on hunts with him.. I'd scrub pots, do the laundry and scoop out the cat box.

7. Oct 15, 2014 #6
    I saw an article about this the other day. It never ceases to amaze me how much hidden treasure there still is out there. You'd think every square inch of the British Iles would have been dug up several times over by now since a thousand years ago, but apparently not.

8. Oct 16, 2014 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. King John's crown jewels are still missing.

It was recorded by contemporary chroniclers that King John's crown jewels and other valuable crown possessions were lost in marshland when the horse-drawn baggage train of his army attempted to cross without a guide the causeway and ford across the mouth of the Wellstream on 12 October 1216 in passing from Bishop's Lynn (now King's Lynn) via Wisbech en route to Sleaford. (ref)
    It's only 250 miles away.

ps. I'm not really a history buff, nor a treasure hunter. I just learned this a couple of weeks ago looking for Jonathan Scott's landmark.

9. Oct 19, 2014 #8

Astronuc

10. Jun 28, 2015 #9

wolram

Gold Member

I am still digging zoobyshoe, finds are scares but odd coin still comes up, i am still waiting for my first hoard.

11. Jun 28, 2015 #10
    Best of luck! I hope you find something interesting.

12. Aug 16, 2015 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook