1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1D kinematics - finding g from time traveled

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is from Kleppner, problem 1.12 in the 2010 edition, if you want to see the diagram.

The acceleration of gravity can be measured by projecting a body upward and measuring the time that it takes to pass two given points in both directions. Show that if the time the body takes to pass a horizontal line ##A## in both directions is ##T_A##, and the time to go by a second line ##B## in both directions is ##T_B##, then, assuming that the acceleration is constant, its magnitude is
    [tex]g = \frac{8 h}{T_A^2 - T_B^2},[/tex]where ##h## is the height of line ##B## above line ##A##.

2. Relevant equations
    ##y = y_0 + \dot{y}_0 t - \frac12 g t^2##

##\dot{y} = \dot{y}_0 - g t##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since we're only interested in what happens above height ##A##, I'm going to make that my zero height, so the total flight time is ##T_A##, making the time for the body to reach its max height ##T_A / 2##. From that I can get the initial velocity from ##\dot{y} = 0 = \dot{y}_0 - g ( T_A / 2 )##, giving me
    [tex]\dot{y}_0 = \frac{g T_A}{2}.[/tex] So now I've got an equation for height
    [tex]y = \frac{g}{2} ( T_A t - t^2 ),[/tex]which I can use to find an expression for the max height by plugging in ##t = T_A / 2##:
    [tex]y_{\text{max}} = \frac{g}{2} \left( T_A \frac{T_A}{2} - \frac{T_A^2}{4} \right) = \frac{g T_A^2}{8}.[/tex]
    I also want to know how long it takes to get to ##B##; I'll call that ##t_h##. Plugging that into my height equation,
    [tex]h = \frac{g}{2} ( T_A t_h - t_h^2 ),[/tex] and solving for ##t_h## I get
    [tex]t_h = \frac{T_A}{2} \pm \frac12 \sqrt{T_A^2 - \frac{8 h}{g}},[/tex] the minus term being the time it takes to reach ##B## the first time and plus term the time it takes to reach ##B## the second time.

Now I'm going to focus on ##B##. I can get another expression for the max height by using time ##T_B/2## and initial velocity ##\dot{y}_B = \dot{y}_0 - g t_h##. Plugging in everything I have so far,
    [tex]\dot{y}_B = \frac{g T_A}{2} - \left( \frac{g T_A}{2} - \frac12 \sqrt{T_A^2 - \frac{8 h}{g}} \right) = \frac12 \sqrt{T_A^2 - \frac{8 h}{g}}.[/tex]And the equation for max height is
    [tex]y_{\text{max}} = \frac{T_B}{2} \frac12 \sqrt{T_A^2 - \frac{8 h}{g}} - \frac{g}{2} \frac{T_B^2}{4} = \frac{T_B}{4} \sqrt{T_A^2 - \frac{8 h}{g}} - \frac{g T_B^2}{8} = \frac{g T_A^2}{8}.[/tex]Simplifying,
    [tex]T_B \sqrt{T_A^2 - \frac{8 h}{g}} = \frac{g}{2} ( T_A^2 + T_B^2 ).[/tex]
    Here's where I'm stymied. If there's a way to solve that for ##g##, I don't know it, and the magic equation-solving machines don't spit out anything nice, certainly not the given solution. So I suppose I've gone astray somewhere. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks overly complicated.

Hint: View the body as it falls, starting from the highest point.

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    Solved it. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted