Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1D Particle in a box - locations at set probability

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron is confined to the region of the x axis between x = 0 and x = L (where L = 1nm). Given a state n = 3, find the location of the points in the box at which the probability of finding the electron is half it's maximum value

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\psi^2(x)=\frac{2}{L}\sin^2\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that the wavefunction squared (above) gives the probability at location x, and its integration gives the probability over set regions between x = 0 and x = l. However, the only way I can see of finding x from a given probability is to assume:

[tex]\psi^2(x)=0.5[/tex]

and try to manipulate the equation to give it in terms of x. Is this the right method? If so, how do I take out the sine term?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

The maximum value of ψ2(x) is not 1.

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    Ah, I see - half the maximum value. I'm guessing it'd only be 1 if we were considering the entire box, not one point.

Alright, so you determine the maxima by differentiation?

[tex]\frac{d\psi^2(x)}{dx}=2\sin\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right)\cos\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right)=0[/tex]

5. Mar 19, 2009 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

The rigorous way to determine the maxima would be by differentiation, as you said. However, ψ2 has a fairly simple formula and from what you know about sine functions, you should be able to see the maximum value by inspection.

6. Mar 19, 2009 #5
    Hmmm.... okay, let's simplify this: 2/L is just a constant, and so's [tex]\frac{n\pi}{L}[/tex], so that gives us:

[tex]\psi^2(x)=A\sin^2\left(ax)[/tex]

Sine functions go to 1 when ax = 90, and since sin2(ax) is :

[tex]\sin^2\left(ax) = \sin\left(ax)\sin\left(ax)[/tex]

This means.... I'm seriously clutching at straws

Hey, I'm a chemist - I'm amazed I've managed this much

7. Mar 19, 2009 #6

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

What is the largest value sin(x) can give?

Being a chemist is no excuse for not knowing math (unless of course, you're a biochemist :p)!

8. Mar 20, 2009 #7
    The maximum of sin(x) is 1

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook