2 beads and spring going round a loop

In summary, the two beads of mass move on a wire that is bent into a vertical hoop. The gravitational potential energy of the bead is in terms of the angle between the subtended arc and the downward direction.
Gogsey
4. Two identical beads of mass m slide on a thin frictionless wire bent into a vertical circular hoop of radius R in the
xz plane (with z vertical), centred on the origin. A light spring of spring constant k and unstretched length b is
threaded onto the wire between the two beads, with the beads attached to the ends, so that the spring is bent into an
arc subtending an angle b = b/R when unstretched. Describe the positions by the angles theta1 and theta2 from the origin,
relative to the vertically downwards direction. Write out the lagrangian, and find the differential equations of
motion.

I am seriously lost when it comes to this question.

I've tried writng the distance ftom the negative z axis, but I end up getting different combinations of beta, theta1 and theta2, at different points on the loop.

Are the 2 angles from the x = 0 line?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the angles are from the x=0 line.

What is the kinetic energy of bead #1 in terms of [itex]d\theta_1/dt[/itex]?

What is the kinetic energy of bead #2 in terms of [itex]d\theta_2/dt[/itex]?

What is the gravitational potential energy of bead #1 in terms of [itex]\theta_1[/itex]?

What is the gravitational potential energy of bead #2 in terms of [itex]\theta_2[/itex]?

What is the potential energy of the spring is terms of [itex]\theta_1-\theta_2[/itex]?

I'm gussing these energies tkae into account that the spring is compressing and decompressing periodically.

Honestly I have no clue for any of the potential or kinetic energies. I'm guessing we need to use arclength somewhere, but I have no idea how to use or when to use it.

I can't think how to write then in the terms you listed. All I can think of is

m/2(xdot^2 + ydot^2), but as for using the angles I think you need to know arc length, which I don't, and really just don't know what to do

1. How does the 2 beads and spring system work?

The 2 beads and spring system is a simple mechanical system in which two beads are connected by a spring and are able to move freely around a circular loop. The spring provides a restoring force that keeps the beads moving in a circular motion.

2. What factors affect the motion of the 2 beads and spring system?

The motion of the 2 beads and spring system can be affected by several factors, including the tension of the spring, the mass of the beads, and the radius of the circular loop. These factors can impact the speed, frequency, and amplitude of the motion.

3. How is the energy conserved in the 2 beads and spring system?

In a closed system, the total energy (kinetic + potential) of the 2 beads and spring system is conserved. As the beads move around the loop, the spring transfers energy between kinetic and potential forms, but the total energy remains constant.

4. What is the relationship between the period and frequency of the 2 beads and spring system?

The period of the 2 beads and spring system is the time it takes for the beads to complete one full revolution around the loop, while the frequency is the number of revolutions per unit time. The period and frequency are inversely proportional, meaning that as one increases, the other decreases.

5. How does the motion of the 2 beads and spring system change with varying spring constants?

The spring constant, which represents the stiffness of the spring, directly affects the motion of the 2 beads and spring system. A higher spring constant will result in a faster motion, while a lower spring constant will result in a slower motion.