1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Derivations of Solenoid's Magnetic Field - Problem

1. Apr 4, 2007 #1

I have been asked to find the magnetic field inside a solenoid (along its axis)using two methods. One is using Ampere's law (and the approximation that the B field is zero outside the solenoid). Here is what I get:

B = (uIN)/(L)

where I is current, N is the number of loops, and L=length of solenoid.

The other method is integrating the equation for the B field of a single ring, over the length of the solenoid. Here is what i get:

B = (uIN)/(2L) * [ Z/(R^2 + Z^2)^(1/2) - (Z-L)/(R^2 + (Z-L)^2)^(1/2) ]

where R is the radius of the solenoid, Z is the location on the "z" axis where I wish to calculate the magnetic field. (Can also be seen here: http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnettest/solenoids/?thinsolenoid)

Now with this second equation, if I make the approximation that L>>R, it boils down to this:

B = (uIN)/(2L)

(basically only the initial constants remain, the rest of the equation ends up equaling one)

However this is not what I found with amperes law, there is an extra factor of (1/2). Can anyone explain why?
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?