2 dimensional kinematics involving a rocket

In summary: That would have resulted in the same values.In summary, the rocket starts at rest on the ground and its engines ignite at time = 0, causing it to move in a straight line with constant total acceleration of a = 30 m/s^2 at an angle of 76 degrees. After 15 seconds, the engines fail and the rocket goes into free fall. The acceleration of gravity is approximated to g = 10 m/s^2 and the x-direction is the ground while the y-direction is along the upward direction. The position and velocity vectors of the rocket right before the engines fail can be calculated by splitting the acceleration into components and using the kinematic equations. The resulting values are 108.9 m/s for velocity
TanakaTarou

Homework Statement

A rocket is initially at rest on the ground. At time = 0, its engines ignite causing the rocket to move in a straight line with constant total acceleration of a = 30 m/s^2 at an angle of 76 degrees, and the engines are strong enough to counter gravity and keep it exactly in a straight line. The rocket stays in a straight line with increasing speed for 15 seconds until the engines fail and the rocket goes into free fall. In this problem, the acceleration of gravity is approximated to g= 10 m/s^2. X-direction is the ground and Y-direction is along the upward direction

a) Find the position and velocity vectors of the rocket right before the engines fail.

Homework Equations

ΔX [/B]= Vit + .5(a)(t)^2
V = at

The Attempt at a Solution

When I tried to solve it, I split up the Acceleration into two components, the x and the y. Ax = 30cos(76) = 7.26 m/s^2 and Ay = 30sin(76) = 29.11 m/s^2

Then, I plugged the acceleration components into the V= at formula respectively. So Vx = (7.26)(15) = 108.9 m/s and Vy = (29.11)(15) = 436.65

Now that I found the velocity vectors, I proceeded to find the position vectors.
ΔX = (0)(15) + .5(7.26)(15)^2 = 816.75 m. I set Vi as 0 because it started at rest.
ΔY = (0)(15) + .5(29.11)(15)^2 = 3274.88 m. Same thing with the above.

I have doubts on my answer, because the values look too huge. So I think I did something wrong in terms of either formula usage, or splitting up the acceleration into components or both.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and results look fine.

You could also have taken advantage of the fact that the motion was in a straight line and computed the distance along that straight line and the speed along that straight line using the usual kinematic equations, then extracted the components from them afterwards (because you know the angle of the line with respect to the horizontal).

What is 2 dimensional kinematics?

2 dimensional kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, typically represented by the x and y axes. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it moves in a two-dimensional space.

How does a rocket's motion differ from other objects in 2 dimensional kinematics?

A rocket's motion is different from other objects in 2 dimensional kinematics because it is subject to external forces, such as gravity and air resistance, that can greatly affect its trajectory and speed.

What is the equation for calculating the position of a rocket in 2 dimensional kinematics?

The equation for calculating the position of a rocket in 2 dimensional kinematics is: x = x0 + v0xt + 1/2at2, where x0 is the initial position, v0x is the initial velocity in the x direction, t is time, and a is acceleration.

How do you calculate the velocity of a rocket in 2 dimensional kinematics?

The velocity of a rocket in 2 dimensional kinematics can be calculated using the equation: v = v0 + at, where v0 is the initial velocity and a is acceleration. Additionally, the velocity can also be found by taking the derivative of the position equation (x = x0 + v0xt + 1/2at2).

What factors can affect the acceleration of a rocket in 2 dimensional kinematics?

The acceleration of a rocket in 2 dimensional kinematics can be affected by factors such as the force of gravity, air resistance, and the thrust generated by the rocket's engines. Changes in mass, shape, and direction of the rocket can also impact its acceleration.