Constant acceleration in a rocket

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of writing the equation of motion for a rocket in the frame of reference of the Earth. The accelerations in both frames are related through Lorentz transformations. The result shows that for large times, the speed of the rocket approaches the speed of light. However, this does not imply that the rocket will ever reach the speed of light. The conversation also explores the concept of a time, T, after which messages sent from Earth will never reach the rocket. This can be seen in terms of equations of motion and can be plotted on a spacetime diagram as a hyperbola. The conversation concludes by discussing the trend of the rocket's position, which approaches that of the light signal for larger acceleration values
Frostman
Homework Statement
A rocket, starting from the earth, moves away from it subjected to ##a## constant acceleration in the reference system of instantaneous rest of the rocket itself.
a) Obtain the law of motion, that is the dependence of the distance of the rocket from the earth, as a function of the earth's time ##t##.
b) Show that there is a maximum time ##T## after departure, after which it is impossible to send messages capable of reaching the rocket from the ground. Calculate the dependence of ##T## on ##a##
Relevant Equations
Tensor formalism
I thought I'd start by writing the problem in a tensor formalism. I have identified with ##S## the Earth and ##S'## the rocket. Since the acceleration provided is in the rocket's frame of reference, I can write the following four-vector.
$$
a'^\mu=(0, a, 0, 0)
$$
Since we are interested in the equation of motion in the frame of the earth, I go directly to the frame of reference ##S##. Applying the Lorentz transformations.
$$a^0 = \gamma(a'^0+va'^1)=\gamma v a$$$$a^1 = \gamma(a'^1+va'^0)=\gamma a$$
But I get the four-vector acceleration starting from the derivative of the four-vector velocity with respect to proper time.
$$a^\mu = \frac{d}{d\tau}(\gamma, \gamma v_x, \gamma v_y, \gamma v_z)=(\gamma \frac{d(\gamma)}{dt},\gamma \frac{d(\gamma v_x)}{dt},\gamma \frac{d(\gamma v_y)}{dt},\gamma \frac{d(\gamma v_z)}{dt})$$
In particular
$$a^0 =\gamma v a=\gamma \frac{d(\gamma)}{dt}$$$$a^1=\gamma a = \gamma \frac{d(\gamma v_x)}{dt}$$
Considering the second result:
$$\int_0^v d(\gamma v) = a\int_0^t dt$$
So we have:
$$ \frac{v}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}=at$$$$v(t)=\frac{at}{\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}}$$
By integrating speed over time we have:
$$x(t)=\frac 1a \bigg(\sqrt{1+a^2t^2}-1\bigg)$$
Can it be exhaustive?
The interesting thing is that for big times (##t\rightarrow +\infty##), the speed tends to ##1##. So it comes back to me as a result.
For the second point how could I operate? From this time ##T##, since no luminous message sent from Earth will never be able to reach the rocket, it means that the rocket is also traveling at speed ##1##. I would conclude that this time ##T## is for ##T\rightarrow +\infty##. But it seems trivial and stupid (because I have no dependence from ##a##), in what terms should I reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
Frostman said:
For the second point how could I operate? From this time ##T##, since no luminous message sent from Earth will never be able to reach the rocket, it means that the rocket is also traveling at speed ##1##.
It doesn't imply that the rocket is ever traveling at the speed of light.

PeroK said:
It doesn't imply that the rocket is ever traveling at the speed of light.
Okay, taking a step back, there is a time, after that time the messages sent from the Earth will never reach the rocket.
Can I see it in terms of equations of motion? Since the position occupied by the rocket will be after that time T, always greater than the position occupied by the signal.

Try plotting x(t) on a spacetime diagram.

Okay, it's an hyperbola.
Furthermore, the more the acceleration value is greater, the more the trend is that of: ##x(t)=|t|## and this one is the trend of the light signal.
The two trends, as I have drawn them, never meet.

1. What is constant acceleration in a rocket?

Constant acceleration in a rocket refers to the steady increase in velocity over time as the rocket propels forward. This is achieved through the continuous burning of fuel and the resulting thrust pushing the rocket forward.

2. How is constant acceleration achieved in a rocket?

Constant acceleration is achieved by the continuous burning of fuel, which creates thrust, and the design of the rocket's engines and propulsion systems. The amount of thrust generated must be greater than the force of gravity pulling the rocket down in order to achieve constant acceleration.

3. What is the significance of constant acceleration in a rocket?

Constant acceleration is crucial for a rocket to reach its desired destination in a timely manner. Without constant acceleration, the rocket would not be able to overcome the force of gravity and would not be able to reach its intended velocity and altitude.

4. How does constant acceleration affect the trajectory of a rocket?

Constant acceleration plays a significant role in determining the trajectory of a rocket. The greater the acceleration, the steeper the trajectory will be. This is why rockets are designed to achieve high levels of constant acceleration in order to reach high altitudes and velocities.

5. Can constant acceleration be maintained throughout a rocket's journey?

While constant acceleration is the goal for a rocket's journey, it is not always maintained throughout the entire journey. As fuel is consumed and the rocket loses mass, the amount of thrust generated decreases, resulting in a decrease in acceleration. Additionally, external factors such as atmospheric conditions and gravitational forces can also affect the rocket's acceleration. However, rocket scientists work to design and optimize rockets to maintain as close to constant acceleration as possible throughout the journey.