1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 high-pass filters with different R and C values, discuss the differences

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    You have two high-pass filters with different R and C values discuss the difference in the response.

Filter a) R=5kΩ C=250μf
    Filter b) R=25kΩ C=50μf

I calculated that they have the same cut-off frequency but without actually testing the circuit on Multisim and connecting a bode plotter I don't know how to find any differences

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2
    Just speculating here, but if the cut-off frequency were the same, shouldn't the response here be the same?

If not, then I assume any differences in response would be due to a transient response due to the different capacitances. Just speculation though.

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    That's what I thought but the cut off frequency is proportional to 1/RC and the RC value for both circuits is the same. It could be transient response but I don't know much about it because we haven't been taught anything about it

5. Apr 10, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Sketch each filter as a 2 port network, and label input and output.

➤ Consider input impedance.

6. Apr 10, 2012 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Your subject say "discuss the differences", your post says "discuss the difference in the response".

What is the exact wording of the question?

7. Apr 10, 2012 #6
    The question says discuss the differences in the response. It's alright now, the lecturer sent us an answer sheet and the answer was there is no differences, they are identical. I hate it when they do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook