1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 masses on an inclined plane, one unknown mass needs to be found

1. Dec 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    see attached diagram, one mass is given at 10 kg while the other is unknown. The friction is given an (mu)=0.25 for both masses

2. Relevant equations
    i need to find Magnitude of M for when the 10KG Mass slides down the plane and again for when the 10KG mass slides up the plane

3. The attempt at a solution
    on the 10kg mass
    mgsin(thetha)=49.05
    mgcos(thetha)=84.96

I don't know where to go from here, I am really stuck with this can anyone help please?

On the Unknown Mass
    mgsin(thetha)=8.5m
    mgcos(thetha)=4.905m

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

It would be appreciated if you didn't post diagrams as MS Word files. There's a whole list of image formats which are much better for this sort of thing.

From your diagram (at least, as well as I can make out - it came through rather distorted), I can't see what the unknown mass M has to do with anything. Is there some information in the problem you're not telling us? Are the two masses connected by a string, perhaps?

Also, when you calculate the components of the gravitational force, make sure you have the correct units. (You don't in the post above)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook