1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 masses, pulley on a frictionless incline

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    A 1.7 kg mass, m2, on a 30.5° incline is connected to a 6.4 kg mass, m1, on a horizontal surface. The surfaces and the pulley are frictionless. If F = 13.3 N, what is the magnitude of the tension in the connecting cord?

I've tried solving this by examining all the forces on both of the masses, but I can't seem to get it right (the homework is online through LON-CAPA). We haven't done anything relating to tension in class, and the book is somewhat unclear. A step in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: It appears that the image isn't working, so to make it clear, mass 2 is sitting on an incline (not off the edge) of 30.5 degrees and the pulley is in bottom of the incline while mass 1 is on a horizontal surface.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2
    I wish I could help, but the value of "F" listed above as 13.3 N seems a bit vague, what exactly is that referring to?
  4. Oct 21, 2008 #3
    Wow, sorry I forgot to mention that. Wish the picture worked.

The force of 13.3 N is pulling mass 2 up the incline parallel to the incline itself.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?