Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Q's: Inline LaTeX and Subscribed Thread Notice.

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi,

I was just wondering why paragraphs containing inline LaTeX have extra line breaks or line spaces after the line containing the TeX image?

I was also wondering why I don't always see new posts in threads I've subscribed to in "My PF" unless if I click on the link to see all subscribed threads. Do posts eventually expire so that they aren't considered "new" anymore (even if I haven't read them yet)?

Thanks,

cepheid

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi cepheid! :smile:

I think it's because the new "inline" LaTeX images are slightly taller than a line, and so take up part of the next line, which therefore has to be left out.

(i don't think that used to happen, but the LaTeX used to be a bit difficult to read when it was smaller)

4. Jan 4, 2010 #3

diazona

Homework Helper

Oh, you mean why there's extra space under the line with [itex]inceptos[/itex] here?
    Yeah, as tiny-tim mentioned, the inline LaTeX images are a little taller than a line of text using the default font size, and in a web browser, the height of a line is determined by the tallest thing in it. Although in a lot of cases, there's some extra space at the bottom of the LaTeX image that could be trimmed off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook