Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Q's: Inline LaTeX and Subscribed Thread Notice.

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi,

I was just wondering why paragraphs containing inline LaTeX have extra line breaks or line spaces after the line containing the TeX image?

I was also wondering why I don't always see new posts in threads I've subscribed to in "My PF" unless if I click on the link to see all subscribed threads. Do posts eventually expire so that they aren't considered "new" anymore (even if I haven't read them yet)?

Thanks,

cepheid

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi cepheid! :smile:

I think it's because the new "inline" LaTeX images are slightly taller than a line, and so take up part of the next line, which therefore has to be left out.

(i don't think that used to happen, but the LaTeX used to be a bit difficult to read when it was smaller)

4. Jan 4, 2010 #3

diazona

Homework Helper

Oh, you mean why there's extra space under the line with [itex]inceptos[/itex] here?
    Yeah, as tiny-tim mentioned, the inline LaTeX images are a little taller than a line of text using the default font size, and in a web browser, the height of a line is determined by the tallest thing in it. Although in a lot of cases, there's some extra space at the bottom of the LaTeX image that could be trimmed off.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook