2-slit interference in a gravitational field

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of Earth's gravitational field on interference patterns in experiments involving slow-moving electrons and neutrons. While the Earth's gravitational pull does not seem to directly affect the interference pattern, it does have a small impact on the momentum of the particles. This raises questions about the compatibility of general relativity and quantum mechanics, and the need for a quantum theory of gravity. The conversation also mentions previous experiments that have measured the effects of Earth's gravitational field on interference patterns.
Dmitry67
Lets say I make 2-slit interf. experiment with slow (low enegry) electrons. I make their path as long as possible so they have time to fall in the Earth's gravitational field while they are flying.

So electrons are attracted to the Earth, hence the Earth is attracted to the electron beam. Even it is far beyond the precision of any experiment, it can give a 'which path' info and break the interference.

However, all experiments are made in the Earth's gravitational field, in our slightly curved space-time and it seems that it does not affect the experiments

As an ultimate example: can an interference pattern be obtained from a gravitational lensing? Depending on the path, the central body is attracted to the right or to the left...

Physics news on Phys.org
If I follow your argument, you suppose the Earth is being tugged in one direction or another the moment the particle passes through the slit.
Thus, we should be able to measure the Earth's change of momentum to find the path.
This seems to me to illuminate an incompatibility of GR and QM.
In order to make QM predictions involving gravitation, we would need a quantum theory of gravity.
The problem is, we don't have one.

To augment this experiment, what if we substitute a beam of heavy neutral particles (neutrons), for the electron beam.
Let's also take it to space so we're in free-fall.
Place a which-path detector; a light object between the slits.
Fire one particle through the slits and wait a while to see if the which-path detector moves in one direction or the other.
If it does move, would conclude the neutron went through the hole towards which it's moving.
I suppose this is still several orders of magnitude away from observable today, but it seems more realistic.

Last edited:
Yes, I know, but we can do an experiment. It is possible that interference pattern disappear far enough from the slit because of the interaction with the gravitation field.

P.S.
Just found some links, I will check them
http://www.google.fr/search?sourcei...4-15,GGLD:fr&q=neutron+beam+gravitation+field

Looks like I was not the first who was thinking about it. Farewell, my Nobel prize :)

P.P.S.
Cool: http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2007/06/bouncing-neutrons-in-gravitational.html

Last edited:
Wild stuff. I like your disappearing interference pattern idea. It would be easy to perform, too. Just pull the screen back away from the slits. In a vacuum for better results, I guess?

The interference pattern does not vanish (at least not due to the Earth being attracted). The strength of the interference pattern is proportional to the overlap of the two wavefunctions psi1 and psi2, of the rest of the universe, where psi1 is what the wavefunction of the resto of the universe would be if the electron goes to slit 1 and psi2 what it would be if the electron goes through slit 2.

If you have a large body like the Earth, then its wavefunction is very localized in space (we are not talking about the physical dimensions rather about the center of mass position here). This means that in momentum space it has a huge width. Then, if the electron moves through one or the other slit, the mometum of the Earth is affected in different ways, but the difference falls well within the huge width of the wavefunction of the Earth in momentum space.

So, the overlap of psi1 and psi2 is almost exactly equal to 1.

If you had 100% accurate which way information, then that means that there exists an observable such that psi1 and psi2 would be different eigenstates of that observable corresponding to different eigenvalues. Measuring that observable would then tell you through which slit the electron went, regardless of whether you could actually measure that observable in practice.

But since eigenvectors corresponding to different eigenvalues are orthogonal, this means that psi1 and psi2 should have an overlap of zero.

Last edited:
Count Iblis said:
The interference pattern does not vanish (at least not due to the Earth being attracted).

If you have a large body like the Earth, then its wavefunction is very localized in space (we are not talking about the physical dimensions rather about the center of mass position here). This means that in momentum space it has a huge width. Then, if the electron moves through one or the other slit, the mometum of the Earth is affected in different ways, but the difference falls well within the huge width of the wavefunction of the Earth in momentum space.

1 Based on the result of the experiment with a neutron beam yes, I agree with you - looks like the gravitational field does not affect the interference pattern. And this is weird. An interaction of a particle with a macroscopic body full of thermodinamically irreversible processes is a classical case of what is called a "measurement" and it erases the interference in all cases - except the gravitation!

2 I don't understand what is it - "a wavefunction of Earth". Could you explain it differently? I don't think that neutron interacts with the whole Earth. It exchanges a graviton randomly with some of the particles in the Earth. In QM information is never lost, so in principle it is possible to get which-path information

3 What do you think about my example with the gravitational lensing? In that particular case the central body is pushed into the different directions depending on the which-path info.

I happen to know two papers which seems to measure the effect of interference due to Earth's gravitational field through neutron interferometry.

1. Observation of Gravitationallly Induced Quantum Interference

http://www2.phys.canterbury.ac.nz/editorial/COW1975.pdf

2. Two-wavelength-difference measurement of gravitationally induced quantum interference phases

http://www2.phys.canterbury.ac.nz/editorial/1997VEP.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is 2-slit interference in a gravitational field?

2-slit interference in a gravitational field is a phenomenon observed when particles or waves pass through 2 closely spaced slits in a gravitational field. The gravitational field causes a bending of the path of the particles or waves, leading to an interference pattern on the other side of the slits.

2. How does the gravitational field affect the interference pattern?

The gravitational field causes a curvature in the path of the particles or waves, which results in a shift in the interference pattern. This is due to the fact that the particles or waves will follow a curved path towards the center of the gravitational field, resulting in a distortion of the interference pattern.

3. What factors affect the interference pattern in a gravitational field?

The interference pattern in a gravitational field is affected by the strength of the gravitational field, the distance between the slits, and the wavelength of the particles or waves passing through the slits. These factors can lead to changes in the curvature of the path and thus, affect the interference pattern.

4. Can 2-slit interference in a gravitational field be observed in everyday life?

Yes, 2-slit interference in a gravitational field can be observed in everyday life. This phenomenon is commonly observed in the behavior of light around massive objects such as stars, planets, and black holes. It can also be observed in the behavior of subatomic particles in particle accelerators.

5. What are the practical applications of studying 2-slit interference in a gravitational field?

The study of 2-slit interference in a gravitational field has practical applications in various fields such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and engineering. It can help us understand the behavior of particles and waves in extreme environments, and can also be used in the development of new technologies such as gravitational wave detectors.