2 strong nuclear force questions

In summary, the strong nuclear force is not directly proportional to distance, but rather has both a linear and inverse relationship with distance. It acts on the property of "color charge" and can be saturated, leading to the distance between particles in the universe. There is no exact equation for the strong force, but there are some approximate equations that fit the data well. It is important to understand the difference between the force between colored particles and color-neutral particles.
Archosaur
How is it possible that the strong nuclear force is directly proportional to distance?
How could all the atoms in the universe be so far apart if this were the case? The fact that I can't find an equation for the strong nuclear force makes me think it's just not that simple. Could someone tell me...
1. ...what property the strong nuclear force acts on?
2. ...what it's actual relationship to distance is?

I'm not a layman, but I obviously haven't taken much QM, so, I'd greatly appreciate details, but maybe hold the jargon, if possible.

Thank you much.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no closed form equation that relates the strength of the strong force to distance, although there are some approximate equations that seem to fit the data pretty well, i think it looks something like:
[tex]
V_{strong}(r) \propto \frac{1}{r} + r
[/tex]
So the potential has both a linear, and inverse relationship with distance.

The strong force acts on "color charge" which is just some fundamental property of particles.

The reason why things in the universe are so far apart is that the strong force can be 'saturated.' Particles only experience strong-interactions with a handful of neighboring particles.

What do you mean by strong force? Force between colored particles like quarks, or force between color-neutral particles like nucleons.

The color-electric potential (which is a low-energy approx. as explained above) has a linear term ~r which eventually confines colored particles within color-neutral hadrons. The residual strong nuclear force between color-neutral particles has an approx with exp(-mr) where m is the pion mass.

1. What is the strong nuclear force?

The strong nuclear force is a fundamental force that binds together the protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus. It is the strongest of the four fundamental forces and is responsible for the stability of the nucleus.

2. How does the strong nuclear force work?

The strong nuclear force works by exchanging particles called gluons between quarks, which are the building blocks of protons and neutrons. This exchange of gluons creates an attractive force that holds the quarks together, thus keeping the nucleus stable.

3. What is the range of the strong nuclear force?

The range of the strong nuclear force is very short, only about 10^-15 meters. This means that it only affects particles that are extremely close together, such as those in the nucleus of an atom.

4. How does the strong nuclear force differ from the other fundamental forces?

The strong nuclear force is different from the other fundamental forces because it only affects particles that are extremely close together, while the other forces have a much longer range. The strong nuclear force is also much stronger than the other forces.

5. Can the strong nuclear force be broken?

The strong nuclear force is a very strong force, but it can be overcome in certain situations. For example, during nuclear reactions, the strong nuclear force can be overcome, causing the nucleus to split apart. However, under normal circumstances, the strong nuclear force holds the nucleus together and cannot be broken.