2 Trigonometric Problems i'm stuck with. Help

In summary, the conversation discusses solving equations and converting functions into iterative formulas. In 1a, the equation 3csc(x) - 5sinx = 2 is being worked on, with steps being taken to convert it into a quadratic form. In 1b, the identity cos(x)cot(x) = csc(x) - sin(x) is being proven. In 2, there is confusion about the goal, with one member suggesting finding a root of the equation x + ln(3x-4) = 0.
Timiop2008
Hi. I would appreciate if anybody could help me with the following:

a)Solve 3cosec x-5sin x = 2 for 0<x<360degrees

b) Prove that cosecx - sinx = cosx cotx

a) f(x) is x + ln(3x-4). Show how to convert f(x) into the iterative formula

b) If x0=1, write values of x1, x2, 3 until a root is achieved correct to 3 d.p.

c) Justify your previous answer by showing a sign change of f(x)

d) Use simpsons rule with 4 intervals to calculate the definite integral between 2 and 4 of
f(x)

Physics news on Phys.org
in 1 (a) and (b)
just give a hard try ... u will get the answer

vishal007win said:
in 1 (a) and (b)
just give a hard try ... u will get the answer

Yes, I think 1(b) is:
cos(x)cot(x)
= cos(x)[cos(x)/sin(x)]
= cos²(x) / sin(x)
= [1 - sin²(x)] / sin(x)
= [1/sin(x)] - [sin²(x)/sin(x)]
= csc(x) - sin(x)

but I don't have a clue about 1(a)
I can only get to:
[3(1/sinx)]-5sinx-2=0 and then don't know how to carry on

For 1a, multiply both sides of the equation you got by sin(x), which results in an equation that is quadratic in form. Be aware that multiplying by sin(x) might introduce extraneous solutions x = 0, x = pi that aren't solutions of the original equation.

For 2, it's not clear what you are trying to do. Are you trying to find a root of the equation x + ln(3x -4) = 0?

If that's it, you might have a typo because ln(3x -4) is undefined at x = 1.

Mark44 said:
For 1a, multiply both sides of the equation you got by sin(x), which results in an equation that is quadratic in form. Be aware that multiplying by sin(x) might introduce extraneous solutions x = 0, x = pi that aren't solutions of the original equation.

3cosecx-5sinx=2
3cosecx-5sinx(sinx)=2(sinx)
3cosecx-5sin2x=2sinx
... this is not a quadratic is it??

1a. No it isn't. BTW, the usual abbreviation for cosecant is csc.

You started with 3csc(x) -5sinx = 2, then rewrote this as
1/sin(x) -5sin(x) - 2 = 0, then you reconverted 1/sin(x) back to csc(x) - not a good move.

Continue from this equation, 1/sin(x) -5sin(x) - 2 = 0, and reread what I said in post #4.

For 2, I still need some answers from you.

1. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent. These functions are used to relate the angles and sides of a right triangle.

2. How can I solve trigonometric problems?

To solve trigonometric problems, you can use trigonometric identities, formulas, and the unit circle. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label the angles and sides of the triangle.

3. What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit. It is used to find the coordinates of points on the circle and can be used to solve trigonometric problems.

4. How do I simplify trigonometric expressions?

To simplify trigonometric expressions, you can use trigonometric identities and basic algebraic techniques. It is also helpful to use the unit circle to simplify trigonometric functions of special angles.

5. What are some real-life applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry is used in a variety of fields, such as astronomy, navigation, engineering, and physics. It is also used in everyday activities like measuring heights and distances, and in video game development for creating realistic graphics and animations.