2 vectors orthogonal to 3 4-d vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding two unit vectors that are orthogonal to three given vectors. The method involves setting the dot product of the vectors to zero and solving for the unknown variables. However, the conversation also acknowledges that there may be an error in the approach and suggests reducing the number of variables to three for easier solving.
Damascus Road
Greetings,
I'm a little stuck on this algebra question

Find 2 unit vectors orthogonal to v1 = <3,1,1,-1>, v2 = <-1,2,2,0> and v3 = <1,0,2,-1>

I know that this means that if I let z be the vector orthogonal to these 3 then,

z.v1 = z.v2= z.v3 = 0

And that my two vectors is likely +/- z.

I can do something like this:

z = <a,b,c,d>

z.v1 = z.v2

3a + b + c -d = -a + 2b + 2c

but now what? Or is this the wrong idea?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is rather tricky. Hm. If you're only using:
[tex]Z \cdot V1 = Z \cdot V2[/tex]
then you're only solving for a vector that is orthogonal to V1 and V2, means you're excluding V3. So you need to use the third equality as well.

Even so, you have 4 unknowns and 3 equations. Something's amiss.

Damascus Road said:
Find 2 unit vectors orthogonal to v1 = <3,1,1,-1>, v2 = <-1,2,2,0> and v3 = <1,0,2,-1>

I know that this means that if I let z be the vector orthogonal to these 3 then,

z.v1 = z.v2= z.v3 = 0

And that my two vectors is likely +/- z.

z.v1 = z.v2

3a + b + c -d = -a + 2b + 2c

Greetings Damascus Road! :smile:

Yes, z.v1 = z.v2= z.v3 = 0 …

so your last line should be 3a + b + c -d = -a + 2b + 2c = 0 (= a + 2c - d) … three equations in four variables (which is ok, since you only need the ratios :wink:)

Thanks for the replies!

I'm confused about the ratios however. Can I set the individual components equal?
3a = a = -a?

Damascus Road said:
Thanks for the replies!

I'm confused about the ratios however. Can I set the individual components equal?
3a = a = -a?

Nooo … these are three separate linear equations …

if it makes you happier, you can reduce the number of variables to 3 (a/d b/d and c/d) by rewriting the equations as 3a/d + b/d + c/d = 1 etc. :wink:

1. What does it mean for two vectors to be orthogonal?

Two vectors are orthogonal if they are perpendicular to each other, meaning that the angle between them is 90 degrees.

2. How can I find two vectors that are orthogonal to a given set of 3 4-dimensional vectors?

To find two vectors that are orthogonal to a given set of 3 4-dimensional vectors, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves finding the cross product of two of the given vectors, and then finding the cross product of that result with the third vector. The resulting two vectors will be orthogonal to all three of the original vectors.

3. Can there be more than two vectors that are orthogonal to a given set of 3 4-dimensional vectors?

No, there can only be two vectors that are orthogonal to a given set of 3 4-dimensional vectors. This is because in 4-dimensional space, there are only 3 dimensions in which vectors can be orthogonal to each other.

4. Are there any other methods for finding two vectors that are orthogonal to a given set of 3 4-dimensional vectors?

Yes, there are other methods for finding two vectors that are orthogonal to a given set of 3 4-dimensional vectors, such as using linear algebra techniques or solving systems of equations. However, the Gram-Schmidt process is the most commonly used method for this purpose.

5. Why is finding two vectors orthogonal to a given set of 3 4-dimensional vectors important?

Finding two vectors that are orthogonal to a given set of 3 4-dimensional vectors is important because it allows us to create a basis for the subspace spanned by these vectors. This basis can then be used to represent any vector in that subspace, making it easier to perform calculations and solve problems involving these vectors.