Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2011 Recap: Biggest Scientific Breakthroughs

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Huh, I didn't know that Neanderthals bred with us, nor did I know about the other species that we had back then!

4. Jan 9, 2012 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see evidence of it daily.

5. Jan 9, 2012 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You owe me a new keyboard...and a drink refill!

6. Jan 9, 2012 #5

Drakkith

I am a man! Not a monster! Is that a hump on my back?

7. Jan 9, 2012 #6
    I found the one about pictures from mental/brain processes to be the most astonishing/intriguing. I mean, is it actually possible that we might be able to see what people are thinking or perceiving? It boggles my (admittedly easily boggled) mind.

8. Jan 9, 2012 #7

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

They missed a pretty big one in the finding that treating pre-symptomatic HIV-infected people with antiretroviral drugs reduces their risk of transmitting the virus by 96% (M. S. Cohen et al., 2011 Prevention of HIV-1 Infection with Early Antiretroviral Therapy. N. Engl. J. Med. 365: 493-505 doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1105243). The journal Science described this finding as their Breakthrough of the Year.

In the field I work in, molecular biophysics, some of the most exciting discoveries were: the first crystal structure of the complex between a G-protein coupled receptor and its G-protein (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature10361 [Broken]) which provides fundamental insights into an important family of proteins involved in cell signalling; and the development of fluorescent voltage-sensitive proteins that can detect action potentials in neurons (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nmeth.1782 [Broken]), which promises to enable some very exciting new experiments in neurobiology.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Jan 10, 2012 #8

rhody

Gold Member

They missed this one, IMHO at least: Color Coded surgery. Identifies cancer cells during surgery, ensuring more of them are removed. Very cool.

Rhody...

10. Jan 10, 2012 #9

Ryan_m_b

How about the first synthetic trachea? An excellent piece of work showing the potential of regenerative medicine in future medicine.

11. Jan 10, 2012 #10
    That one about postponing disease in rats is a step backward if you ask me.

12. Jan 10, 2012 #11
  13. Jan 10, 2012 #12

rhody

Gold Member

I read the article, could you put it into layman's terms, with an analogy that I can wrap my mind around.
    Rhody...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook