2018 Russia / 2022 Qatar World Cup

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    world cup
In summary: I don't get how England didn't win though. They have all the infrastructure and experience. In summary, the new world cup venues have been announced and many people are upset because they think Russia or Qatar should not have been chosen. Personally, I don't mind Russia because I've been to it and it's not that bad. Qatar, on the other hand, is a mystery to me. It's in a high risk environment and it's going to be very hot in summer, which won't be great for tourists. The players will have to be transported around the country and I don't think it will be fun.
For you soccer fans I want to hear your thoughts on the new world cup venues just announced.

Personally I can handle Russia even though I can't believe they beat out Spain/Portugal. But Qatar is beyond my imagination. It must be corruption.

1. Qatar has zero soccer history.
2. It's in a fairly high risk environment.
3. Summer heat gets to 120F. Tourists won't be able to venture outside.
4. No public drinking.
5. Can you imagine how badly the Qatar national team will play?

The UAE would have been a better choice. I've been to Doha Qatar and it is nice for a day in "winter", but overall I've had more fun in a cornfield in Iowa. Qatar beat out Australia. Now that would have been a great time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed it is going to be horrible, but were you actually planning on going?
if no one goes the mistake these guys made will be obvious

I feel worst for the Players... they have to go

hmmm...Qatar doesn't sound a good choice to me as well. However we're talking about 2022 and who knows? Maybe everything would change even the hot weather.:tongue2:

Qatar have the money!

I don't understand how the results went this way: Russia now have to build 18 new stadia and Qatar are building 22, all to be destroyed after the world cup. Neither are footballing countries. England, on the other hand, has all the stadia in place, some used to dealing with nearly 80,000 fans safely on a weekly basis, has the infrastructure to enable fans to get from one stadium to another without having to take a three or four hour flight and is a country that live and breathe football, if not the home of football.

Of course, it's clear why England didn't win the bid since the British media actually investigate corruption and don't cover it up.

cristo said:
Russia now have to build 18 new stadia and Qatar are building 22, all to be destroyed after the world cup. Neither are footballing countries.

A case can be made that Russia has the potential to be a footballing nation. But Qatar, never. Qatar has the money now, but 2022 who knows. They may end up in some real financial trouble by the end.

I'm stunned by both choices.

In the case of Russia, it's only because England would have been the safe bet - the infrastructure is already in place to ensure a profitable World Cup. All would be decent choices.

I'm really shocked by the choice of Qatar. Temperatures over 100 degrees are going to be brutal. I take it all of the games will have to be played at night?

BobG said:
I'm really shocked by the choice of Qatar. Temperatures over 100 degrees are going to be brutal. I take it all of the games will have to be played at night?

All 22 stadiums to be built will be indoor with A/C along with dozens of training grounds. I was in Doha this past June and it was like walking in a furnace. People will be shuttled from hotel to stadium to hotel. Doesn't sound like fun. Doha has a nice corniche and a great Islamic museum. Other than that, the place is a real bore. I don't get it.

But Qatar are really good at football:

Last edited by a moderator:
cristo said:
But Qatar are really good at football:

He used the outside of his left foot, lol.

oh man that guy knows he is totally getting shot after the game ha

Venue suitability probably has nothing to do with it. The game is about bribing FIFA members to vote a certain way. Twenty two members voting secretly smells bad. England only managing two votes smells bad. By the time 2018/2022 comes around, the lined pockets will be long empty and venue controversies will be somebody elses fault.

Greg Bernhardt said:
He used the outside of his left foot, lol.
I've done that before, but I would tap from the side rather than behind the ball, and I reduced the forward momentum of the ball. Optionally would have been an inside sidekick with the right foot from behind.

Who knows what Russia will look like in 2018. Qatar has the money, and I think they could pull it off, especially if they have the right kind stadia.

What countries will host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups?

The 2018 World Cup will be hosted by Russia, while the 2022 World Cup will be hosted by Qatar.

Why was Russia chosen to host the 2018 World Cup?

Russia was chosen to host the 2018 World Cup by the FIFA Executive Committee due to their excellent bid proposal and their strong commitment to hosting the tournament.

What challenges do these countries face in hosting the World Cup?

The main challenges for Russia and Qatar in hosting the World Cup include ensuring the safety and security of players and fans, managing the logistics of hosting a large-scale international event, and addressing any potential political or societal issues that may arise.

How will the World Cup impact these countries' economies?

The World Cup is expected to have a positive impact on the economies of Russia and Qatar, as it will bring in a large number of tourists and stimulate local businesses. However, there may also be financial risks and challenges associated with hosting such a major event.

What steps are being taken to ensure fair and ethical treatment of workers involved in building the World Cup facilities?

Both Russia and Qatar have faced criticism for their treatment of workers involved in building the World Cup facilities. To address these concerns, FIFA has put in place strict regulations for worker welfare and safety, and both countries have implemented measures to improve working conditions and protect workers' rights.