232.15.6.31Find the center of mass

In summary: I don't know how I got 13, probably a typo. The radius is 14. So the volume is \pi\int_0^{14} \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^{1- r sin(\theta)} dz d\theta dr. That z must be wrong. The line z= 1- y= 1- r sin(\theta) does not intersect the circle x^2+ y^2= 169. I was presuming that the cylinder is "sliced" by the plane y+ z= 1, but that is not what the original question says.In summary, the problem is to find the centroid of a
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{232.15.6.31}$
$\textsf{Find the center of mass of the following solid,
assuming a constant density.}$
$\textsf{Sketch the region indicate the location of the centriods}$
$\textsf{Use symetry when possible and choose a convient }$
$\textsf{coordinate system the sliced solid cylinder bounded}$
$\textsf{by $x^2 +y^2=196$, $z=0$ and $y+z=1$}$

ok I won't deal with this till morning
but if suggestions 😃😃😃
never done mass before

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, the "center of mass assuming constant density" is the "centroid" of a figure. "Centroid" is a mathematics term while "center of mass" is a physics term. Second, your use of the plural "centroids" is peculiar. A geometric figure only has one centroid.

Given a three dimensional object, S, the volume is \(\displaystyle V= \int\int_S\int dV\). The coordinates of the centroid are then \(\displaystyle \overline{x}= \frac{\int\int_S\int xdV}{V}\), \(\displaystyle \overline{y}= \frac{\int\int_S\int ydV}{V}\), and \(\displaystyle \overline{z}= \frac{\int\int_S\int zdV}{V}\). Since the figure here is a cylinder I would use cylindrical coordinates, r, \(\displaystyle \theta\), and z. To find V, integrate dV with r from 0 to 13, \(\displaystyle \theta\) from 0 to \(\displaystyle 2\pi\) and z from 0 to \(\displaystyle 1- y= 1- r sin(\theta)\).

$\tiny{232.15.6.31}$
$\textsf{Find the center of mass of the following solid,
assuming a constant density.}\\
\textsf{a. Sketch the region indicate the location of the centriod}\\
\textsf{b. Use symmetry when possible}\\
\textsf{choose a convenient coordinate system
the sliced solid cylinder bounded by}$
\begin{align*}\displaystyle
x^2 +y^2&=196\\
z&=0\\
y+z&=1
\end{align*}

ok the radius of the circle was $7$
and presume the slant is $45^o$ so
centroid is $0,0,?$View attachment 7351

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
First, the "center of mass assuming constant density" is the "centroid" of a figure. "Centroid" is a mathematics term while "center of mass" is a physics term. Second, your use of the plural "centroids" is peculiar. A geometric figure only has one centroid.

Given a three dimensional object, S, the volume is \(\displaystyle V= \int\int_S\int dV\). The coordinates of the centroid are then \(\displaystyle \overline{x}= \frac{\int\int_S\int xdV}{V}\), \(\displaystyle \overline{y}= \frac{\int\int_S\int ydV}{V}\), and \(\displaystyle \overline{z}= \frac{\int\int_S\int zdV}{V}\). Since the figure here is a cylinder I would use cylindrical coordinates, r, \(\displaystyle \theta\), and z. To find V, integrate dV with r from 0 to 13, \(\displaystyle \theta\) from 0 to \(\displaystyle 2\pi\) and z from 0 to \(\displaystyle 1- y= 1- r sin(\theta)\).

where do you get $13$ the $\sqrt{196}=14$ ?

Last edited:
karush said:
where do you get $13$ the $\sqrt{196}=14$ ?
My eyes are going wonky: 13 is the square root of 169.

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the particles in an object or system. This is done by multiplying the mass of each particle by its distance from a chosen reference point and then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass.

3. Why is the center of mass important in physics?

The center of mass is important in physics because it is a key concept in understanding the motion and stability of objects. It helps in predicting how objects will behave under the influence of external forces and how they will rotate around different axes.

4. How does the center of mass change with the shape and distribution of mass in an object?

The center of mass changes with the shape and distribution of mass in an object because it depends on the position and weight of each particle. As the shape or distribution of mass changes, the distances between the particles and the reference point also change, altering the position of the center of mass.

5. What are some real-life applications of center of mass?

The center of mass has many real-life applications, including in sports like gymnastics and diving, where athletes need to control their center of mass to perform complex movements. It is also important in engineering and architecture for designing stable structures and in space exploration for understanding the motion of celestial bodies.