2D Forces Equilibrium Question

In summary: This is because the normal force on an object is always perpendicular to the surface it is applied to. So, by adding the numerically calculated Na to the numerically calculated Fy, you can calculate the total horizontal force on B (ie: Fh).In summary, the mass of block A is 42kg, and the mass of block of B is 50kg. The surfaces are smooth. If the blocks are in equilibrium, the force F is 699N.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

The mass of block A is 42kg, and the mass of block of B is 50kg. The surfaces are smooth. If the blocks are in equilibrium, what is the force F?

fbd2.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx=0
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I added the vectors do this diagram. The normal force to both blocks, the weight of each box. I treated the two boxes as one whole so I wouldn't have to worry about their contact area.

I got this for my equations:
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx= NA*cos(70) + F - NB=0
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy= NA*sin(70) - 42*9.81-50*9.81=0

I can solve for Na, but I can't ge to F. Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting, NA this is the normal reaction force of box A? Also, both of your equations are sums of forces in the x direction..

Oops, sorry, that's a typo. The first one is x, second one is y. Na is just the normal force exerted by the surface on A in response to its weight.

Are you sure your formulae are right?

First re-write NA as [tex] M_agcos(20) [/tex]

Then you can solve your forces in y.
Try this first.

Well actually I could solve my forces in y already, so that's not such a problem. My problem rests with not knowing anything about Nb.

I'm fairly sure about my equations.

Perhaps before being so sure about your equations, you should try what I said in my last post.

Well, I don't think I can say that Na=Ma*g*cos(20) because it's not just A acting at that point. Object B also exerts a force on that point in one or another. Plus there is a force being applied to the whole system.

Using your logic, no, my equations aren't right. But this is how I was taught to treat normal forces in 2D force systems...?

Melawrghk said:
[...] Na is just the normal force exerted by the surface on A in response to its weight.

But according to this, my logic is the one that you appear to be using.

All this aside, the point I am making is that you have not taken into account, the normal reaction force of mass b.

Reading into words aside, that is obviously not the approach I'm using as I just explained in the post above. I also stated that I'm treating two objects as one, meaning normal force exerted on that contact side of A is the normal force exerted on the whole system from that point. I did take normal force acting on B-side and that is NB. The force acts perpendicular to the surface (ie in the x-direction only).

Sorry if any of this sounded harsh/rude, it honestly wasn't intended that way. I'm just trying to get this question and not be critiqued on my explanation/description mis-skills.

Yeah my apologies too, when you said 'Na is just the normal force exerted by the surface on A in response to its weight.' You actually meant "Na is just the normal force exerted by the surface on A in response to its weight + the weight of B"

Okay well we can look at this slightly differently then.
You need to calculate the amount of force B exerts on A. B has mg down. It is at 45 degree angle with A.
Therefore the normal force between B and A is mgsin(45). Once you have that, you can calculate the vertical component of that and add it to the y force of A.

But where does that get me? I got the vertical component of that equalling 245.25N and if I add it to the Fy, Na becomes 699N. What then?

Well, it does two things for you. One, it gives you the numerical value of Na, which will come in handy for solving the equation soon.

Two, it allows you to calculate the horizontal force on B due to gravity.

1. What is a 2D force equilibrium question?

2D force equilibrium refers to a situation where two or more forces are acting on an object in two dimensions, and the object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity. In other words, the net force on the object is equal to zero, resulting in a state of equilibrium.

2. How do you determine if a system is in 2D force equilibrium?

In order to determine if a system is in 2D force equilibrium, you must first draw a free body diagram of the object and label all the known forces acting on it. Then, using Newton's laws of motion and the equations of equilibrium, you can determine if the net force in both the x and y directions is equal to zero.

3. What are the equations of equilibrium for 2D forces?

The equations of equilibrium for 2D forces are ΣFx=0 and ΣFy=0. These equations state that the sum of all forces in the x-direction and the sum of all forces in the y-direction must be equal to zero for the object to be in equilibrium.

4. How do you solve a 2D force equilibrium question?

To solve a 2D force equilibrium question, you must first identify all the known forces acting on the object and draw a free body diagram. Then, set up the equations of equilibrium and solve for any unknown forces or angles. It is important to keep track of units and use proper vector notation when solving these types of problems.

5. What are some real-life applications of 2D force equilibrium?

2D force equilibrium is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as bridge construction, building design, and determining the stability of structures. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze and predict the motion of objects in two dimensions, such as projectiles or objects moving along an inclined plane.