1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D Kinematics I tried so hard

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    2D Kinematics Please Help! I tried so hard

Relative to the ground, a car has a velocity of 17.3 m/s, directed due north. Relative to this car, a truck has a velocity of 20.5 m/s directed 48.5 ° south of east. Find the (a) magnitude and (b) direction of the truck's velocity relative to the ground. Give the directional angle relative to due east.

I got:

Vcg = 0x + 17.3y
    Vtg = 20.5 cos (45) - 20.5 sin(45)

The resultant is: 14.496x + 2.804y
    So, by the Pythagorean theorem, Vtg = 14.765

(But that's wrong)

And the direction would be: Inverse tangent of (2.804/14.496)

so it's 10.948 degrees

And that's wrong too.

I also tried it with adding the 20.5 sin(45) on the Vtg part, but those answers are wrong too. I dont know what to do!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Re: 2D Kinematics Please Help! I tried so hard

Hi lmbiango,

I don't see why are you using 45 degrees here; they give a different angle in the problem.

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3

you're right, that was my first dumb mistake... but even after getting the correct number for Vtg, which I now have 13.584, the angle is still incorrect. If I do, inverse tangent of (2.804/13.723) = 11.548, that is wrong for the angle and I only have one try left.

5. Sep 12, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Looking at your numbers, I think you might be mixing up a few numbers.

You say the answer for Vtg was 13.584, but in your inverse tangent equation you have 13.723 in the denominator. These should be the same number and I think the 13.723 is correct, so you might want to check why you have different numbers.

In the numerator of your inverse tangent you use 2.804, which was the y component you found when using the incorrect angle of 45 degrees. You need the new total y component from using 48.5 degrees.

6. Sep 14, 2008 #5

you're right, thanks, I got it now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?