1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd combinatorial problem

1. Jul 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Decide in how many ways the letters of the word ABRACADABRA can be arranged in a row if C, R and D are not to be together.

2. Relevant equations
    The number of ways of arranging n objects which include 'a' identical objects of one type, 'b' identical objects of another type,.... is
    n!/(a!b!....)

n objects divided into m groups with each group having G1, G2, ..., Gm objects respectively has m! * G1! * G2! * ... *Gm!

3. The attempt at a solution
    A: 5
    B: 2
    R: 2
    C: 1
    D: 1

11 letters in total.

There are a few identical letters so the total number of ways of permuting the objects accounting for the identical letters is 11!/(5!2!2!)

The total number of ways of arranging the letters such that C, R and D are together is:
    8!4!/(5!2!2!) as there are 8 groups, with one group containing 4 letters. However given the identical letters, we divide by the same number as above.

So (11!-8!4!)/(5!2!2!)=81144

The answers suggested 78624

I can't see what is wrong with my reasoning.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2007 #2
    total ways of arranging = 11! / (5!.2!.2!)

exceptions=> ways in which CRD are together = (9!.3!) / (5!.2!.2!)

why (9!.3!) / (5!.2!.2!) ? Consider CRD to be one grp and the rest 9 to be another. Then 9! ways or arranging those letters, 3! ways of arranging CRD, 5 A's are common, 2 B's. Another 2! in Dr. because there are two R's, and it doesnt matter which R is in the word CRD

4. Jul 18, 2007 #3
    Nice one f(x). I see now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?