Ways to put letters in postboxes

• Thread starter fireflies
  • Start date
  • Tags
    combination
In summary: Yes, you are correct!In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of arranging 10 identical letters into 7 different postboxes in such a way that each box has at least one letter. The equation nCr=n!/(n-r)!r! is mentioned as a way to calculate combinations. The conversation also explores different approaches to solving the problem and clarifies that the postboxes and letters can be either identical or distinct, leading to different solutions. Ultimately, it is determined that the solution depends on the specific parameters of the problem and may require further clarification.
fireflies

Homework Statement

There are 7 different postbox, and 10 identical letters. How many ways can the letters put into the boxes so that there is at least one letter in a postbox?

Homework Equations

nCr=n!/(n-r)!r!

If M,N,O... things can be done in m,n,o... ways then ways of doing them together is m*n*o..

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to put 7 letters in 7 boxes. It can be done in 1 way only as all the letters are identical. Then I tried to put the rest three letters in the box. Let us mark the letters as A, B and C (just to describe easily). While putting A in a box, for every box there are two solutions, either yes you put or no you don't put. So ways are 2^7. But it also includes that you don't put it any boxes. So, actual ways are 2^7-1. Same for letter B and C. So total ways can be (2^7-1)^3 = 2048383 ways.

The problem solution was given a number something less than 100. I think the first step maybe a problem where I said ways to put 7 letters is 1. But then the answer is going to be bigger, not less than 100 anyways. I asked the one who gave this problem about my solution, he couldn't answer. It was on facebook and not on my id. And I don't remember how his solution was. Can anybody tell me where the problem is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have to have one letter in each box, the number of combinations is the same as the number of ways to arrange 3 idential letters in 10 different boxes. Does that make it easier for you?

Yes, but how to put these three in 7 boxes (Maybe you mistook 10)? Is my second step to solve this a good approach?

Maybe the solution given there was

1) All three letters in same box in 7C1

2) 2 letters in a box and rest in another box in 7C1*6C1

3) 3 letters in 3 different boxes in 7C3

Then sum of case 1, 2 and 3.

This makes sense to me. But what's wrong with my concept then?

Fireflies, in your original method, you not only are allowing for no box to get a letter from the leftover 3, but also for every box to get a letter (7>3). That is why your solution is so large.
--As you just posted--
You have the options to put:
1 additional letter into 3 boxes
2 additional letters into 1 box and 1 letter into another
3 additional letters into 1 box
This is a good way to look at the problem.

Likes fireflies
fireflies said:
Yes, but how to put these three in 7 boxes (Maybe you mistook 10)? Is my second step to solve this a good approach?
Yes, I misread. With 3 letters spread across 7 boxes.

fireflies said:
Then sum of case 1, 2 and 3.
The case that you have here is if all of the boxes are identical.
Yech, another misread.

Last edited:
Yes, all the boxes are not identical. That's my point. Well, I subtracted that 1 to confirm no box is selected. But that includes all yes options too. Now I get what's the actual mistake hete

Then if I say in this way, can this be right-
For letter A to select a box is 7C1. Same for letter B and letter C? So, finally (7C1)^3

Or it is wrong as the letters are identical?

Since the letters are identical, there are only 7 ways to fill a box with 3 letters. Does that make sense?

fireflies said:
Then if I say in this way, can this be right-
For letter A to select a box is 7C1. Same for letter B and letter C? So, finally (7C1)^3

Or it is wrong as the letters are identical?
That would be wrong, since with identical letters AC = AB, so 7^3 includes combinations with AC, AB, BC in the same box counted as distinct outcomes.

So, you are saying that the way with three cases (in #4) is correct? What would be the case then if the post-boxes were identical?

Borg said:
Since the letters are identical, there are only 7 ways to fill a box with 3 letters. Does that make sense?

No, how? The post boxes are not identical. 3 letters in each box itself is going to be 7 ways. 2 in one box rest in other can add more choices like box no 1,2; 2,1; 1,3 etc. 3rd case will give extra choices.

Post #5 gives you the 3 variations that you have to consider.
Post #9 gives you the answer to one of those variations.

Likes fireflies
Borg said:

Sorry, maybe I got it wrong. All three letters in a box and this can be done in 7 ways, that does make sense

Borg said:
Post #5 gives you the 3 variations that you have to consider.
Post #9 gives you the answer to one of those variations.

Now I can actually get what you're trying to say :)

But I already did that in post#4 right?

fireflies said:
What would be the case then if the post-boxes were identical?
If the boxes were identical and the letters were identical you would only have:
6 boxes with 1, 1 box with 4
5 boxes with 1, 1 box with 2, 1 box with 3
4 boxes with 1, 3 boxes with 2.
That is: 3 ways to split 10 letters into 7 boxes with at least one in each box.

This is almost certainly not what the original question was looking for.

Since now it is more clear to me, let me try to answer post#11 by myself. Here post-boxes are identical. So, we can only do is
3 in a box in 3C3
2 in a box and rest in other in 3C2
1 in each box in 3C1,

Then add all. Am I correct?

RUber said:
If the boxes were identical and the letters were identical you would only have:
6 boxes with 1, 1 box with 4
5 boxes with 1, 1 box with 2, 1 box with 3
4 boxes with 1, 3 boxes with 2.
That is: 3 ways to split 10 letters into 7 boxes with at least one in each box.

This is almost certainly not what the original question was looking for.

I read the post later than I posted my answer. It makes me confused again. Why not we put the 7 in their case and try to combine the rest three here?

Yes, it is not an answer to the original post, but since I am having problems to work out the conditions so I think these answers are more likely to help me how to solve these actually

fireflies said:
Sorry, maybe I got it wrong. All three letters in a box and this can be done in 7 ways, that does make sense
RUber said:
3 additional letters into 1 box
You have the answer to this one. So let's look at the next one up:
RUber said:
2 additional letters into 1 box and 1 letter into another
Just answer this question first: How many ways can you put 2 additional letters into 1 box?

fireflies said:
Since now it is more clear to me, let me try to answer post#11 by myself. Here post-boxes are identical. So, we can only do is
3 in a box in 3C3
2 in a box and rest in other in 3C2
1 in each box in 3C1,

Then add all. Am I correct?

Are you still assuming letters are identical too?

3 in a box means 3 in one box 0 in others. If boxes are identical, there is only one way to do it.
2 in one box, 1 in another, and 0 in others. This is still one case, all similar layouts are considered indistinct.
1 in each of 3 boxes and 4 empty boxes. Also, just one case.

If the letters are not identical, then you need to start from 10 letters again. I reiterate, this is not what the question was asking and would likely become complicated quickly.
( I could be wrong on these since I don't often deal with these sorts of questions)
Case 1: 4 in one box, one in each of the other 6-- 10C4 ways to choose the 4 letters that go in.
Case 2: 3 in one box, two in another, 1 in rest--10C5 ways to choose the ones going into two boxes times 5C3 ways to choose which ones go into the first.
Case 3: 2 in three boxes, 1 in the rest -- 10C6 * 6C4 * 4C2 ways

Then sum the 3 cases.

RUber said:
Are you still assuming letters are identical too?

3 in a box means 3 in one box 0 in others. If boxes are identical, there is only one way to do it.
2 in one box, 1 in another, and 0 in others. This is still one case, all similar layouts are considered indistinct.
1 in each of 3 boxes and 4 empty boxes. Also, just one case.

If the letters are not identical, then you need to start from 10 letters again. I reiterate, this is not what the question was asking and would likely become complicated quickly.
( I could be wrong on these since I don't often deal with these sorts of questions)
Case 1: 4 in one box, one in each of the other 6-- 10C4 ways to choose the 4 letters that go in.
Case 2: 3 in one box, two in another, 1 in rest--10C5 ways to choose the ones going into two boxes times 5C3 ways to choose which ones go into the first.
Case 3: 2 in three boxes, 1 in the rest -- 10C6 * 6C4 * 4C2 ways

Then sum the 3 cases.

Yes, I was assuming the letters also identical.
Now its more clear to me.

Borg said:
You have the answer to this one. So let's look at the next one up:

Just answer this question first: How many ways can you put 2 additional letters into 1 box?

7C2. Then multiply with 6C1.

fireflies said:
7C2. Then multiply with 6C1.
Nope.

7C2 means you are choosing 2 mailboxes.
You next would need to choose between the 2 to figure out which one gets 2 letters.

If you were answering the question, "how many ways can you put 2 additional letters into 1 box?" You should have the same answer as you did when you answered
"how many ways can you put 3 additional letters into 1 box?".

Likes Borg
Oh, yes.

7C1*6C1

Note that 7C1 * 6C1 = 7C2 *2C1. So either way you attack it, you get the same answer.
7C1*6C1 is what you get if you first choose the mailbox to get 2 letters and then choose the mailbox to get 1. ##7*6##
7C2*2C1 is what you get if you first choose the two mailboxes, then decide which one gets the second letter. ##\frac{7*6}{2}*2##

Likes fireflies
RUber said:
Note that 7C1 * 6C1 = 7C2 *2C1. So either way you attack it, you get the same answer.
7C1*6C1 is what you get if you first choose the mailbox to get 2 letters and then choose the mailbox to get 1. ##7*6##
7C2*2C1 is what you get if you first choose the two mailboxes, then decide which one gets the second letter. ##\frac{7*6}{2}*2##
There's a more generic way to solve this than breaking it into cases.
Having reduced it to placing 3 letters in 7 boxes, instead of thinking about the boxes think about the 6 gaps between them. This gives you 9 "things" in a line, 6 gaps and three letters. Pick six of them to be the gaps and that will tell you where the letters go.

Likes fireflies
That means 9C6, and similarly 9C3 also?

fireflies said:
That means 9C6, and similarly 9C3 also?
Yes.

Likes fireflies

1. How do I properly address a letter for mailing?

When addressing a letter, make sure to include the recipient's name, address, and zip code on the front of the envelope. The return address should be written on the top left corner of the envelope.

2. What is the correct way to seal an envelope?

The best way to seal an envelope is to moisten the adhesive on the flap with a damp sponge or cloth. Make sure to press down firmly on the flap to ensure a secure seal.

3. Can I use stamps from other countries to send mail?

No, you can only use stamps issued by the postal service of the country where you are mailing the letter. Using stamps from other countries may result in the letter being returned to sender.

4. How do I know which postbox to use?

Postboxes are typically color-coded based on the type of mail they accept. Blue postboxes are for international mail, while red postboxes are for domestic mail. Make sure to check the collection times on the postbox to ensure your letter will be picked up on time.

5. Is there a weight limit for letters being sent through the post?

Yes, the weight limit for a standard letter is typically 1 ounce. If your letter exceeds this weight limit, additional postage may be required.