1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ways to put letters in postboxes

Tags:
  1. Jul 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are 7 different postbox, and 10 identical letters. How many ways can the letters put into the boxes so that there is at least one letter in a postbox?

2. Relevant equations
    nCr=n!/(n-r)!r!

If M,N,O..... things can be done in m,n,o..... ways then ways of doing them together is m*n*o..

3. The attempt at a solution

First I tried to put 7 letters in 7 boxes. It can be done in 1 way only as all the letters are identical. Then I tried to put the rest three letters in the box. Let us mark the letters as A, B and C (just to describe easily). While putting A in a box, for every box there are two solutions, either yes you put or no you don't put. So ways are 2^7. But it also includes that you dont put it any boxes. So, actual ways are 2^7-1. Same for letter B and C. So total ways can be (2^7-1)^3 = 2048383 ways.

The problem solution was given a number something less than 100. I think the first step maybe a problem where I said ways to put 7 letters is 1. But then the answer is going to be bigger, not less than 100 anyways. I asked the one who gave this problem about my solution, he couldn't answer. It was on facebook and not on my id. And I don't remember how his solution was. Can anybody tell me where the problem is?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2015 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you have to have one letter in each box, the number of combinations is the same as the number of ways to arrange 3 idential letters in 10 different boxes. Does that make it easier for you?

4. Jul 31, 2015 #3
    Yes, but how to put these three in 7 boxes (Maybe you mistook 10)? Is my second step to solve this a good approach?

5. Jul 31, 2015 #4
    Maybe the solution given there was

1) All three letters in same box in 7C1

2) 2 letters in a box and rest in another box in 7C1*6C1

3) 3 letters in 3 different boxes in 7C3

Then sum of case 1, 2 and 3.

This makes sense to me. But what's wrong with my concept then?

6. Jul 31, 2015 #5

RUber

Homework Helper

Fireflies, in your original method, you not only are allowing for no box to get a letter from the leftover 3, but also for every box to get a letter (7>3). That is why your solution is so large.
    --As you just posted--
    You have the options to put:
    1 additional letter into 3 boxes
    2 additional letters into 1 box and 1 letter into another
    3 additional letters into 1 box
    This is a good way to look at the problem.

7. Jul 31, 2015 #6

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I misread. With 3 letters spread across 7 boxes.

The case that you have here is if all of the boxes are identical.
    Yech, another misread.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  8. Jul 31, 2015 #7
    Yes, all the boxes are not identical. That's my point.

Well, I subtracted that 1 to confirm no box is selected. But that includes all yes options too. Now I get what's the actual mistake hete

9. Jul 31, 2015 #8
    Then if I say in this way, can this be right-
    For letter A to select a box is 7C1. Same for letter B and letter C? So, finally (7C1)^3

Or it is wrong as the letters are identical?

10. Jul 31, 2015 #9

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since the letters are identical, there are only 7 ways to fill a box with 3 letters. Does that make sense?

11. Jul 31, 2015 #10

RUber

Homework Helper

That would be wrong, since with identical letters AC = AB, so 7^3 includes combinations with AC, AB, BC in the same box counted as distinct outcomes.

12. Jul 31, 2015 #11
    So, you are saying that the way with three cases (in #4) is correct? What would be the case then if the post-boxes were identical?

13. Jul 31, 2015 #12
    No, how? The post boxes are not identical. 3 letters in each box itself is going to be 7 ways. 2 in one box rest in other can add more choices like box no 1,2; 2,1; 1,3 etc. 3rd case will give extra choices.

14. Jul 31, 2015 #13

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Post #5 gives you the 3 variations that you have to consider.
    Post #9 gives you the answer to one of those variations.

15. Jul 31, 2015 #14
    Sorry, maybe I got it wrong. All three letters in a box and this can be done in 7 ways, that does make sense

16. Jul 31, 2015 #15
    Now I can actually get what you're trying to say :)

But I already did that in post#4 right?

17. Jul 31, 2015 #16

RUber

Homework Helper

If the boxes were identical and the letters were identical you would only have:
    6 boxes with 1, 1 box with 4
    5 boxes with 1, 1 box with 2, 1 box with 3
    4 boxes with 1, 3 boxes with 2.
    That is: 3 ways to split 10 letters into 7 boxes with at least one in each box.

This is almost certainly not what the original question was looking for.

18. Jul 31, 2015 #17
    Since now it is more clear to me, let me try to answer post#11 by myself. Here post-boxes are identical. So, we can only do is
    3 in a box in 3C3
    2 in a box and rest in other in 3C2
    1 in each box in 3C1,

Then add all. Am I correct?

19. Jul 31, 2015 #18
    I read the post later than I posted my answer. It makes me confused again. Why not we put the 7 in their case and try to combine the rest three here?

Yes, it is not an answer to the original post, but since I am having problems to work out the conditions so I think these answers are more likely to help me how to solve these actually

20. Jul 31, 2015 #19

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have the answer to this one. So let's look at the next one up:
    Just answer this question first: How many ways can you put 2 additional letters into 1 box?

21. Jul 31, 2015 #20

RUber

Homework Helper

Are you still assuming letters are identical too?

3 in a box means 3 in one box 0 in others. If boxes are identical, there is only one way to do it.
    2 in one box, 1 in another, and 0 in others. This is still one case, all similar layouts are considered indistinct.
    1 in each of 3 boxes and 4 empty boxes. Also, just one case.

If the letters are not identical, then you need to start from 10 letters again. I reiterate, this is not what the question was asking and would likely become complicated quickly.
    ( I could be wrong on these since I don't often deal with these sorts of questions)
    Case 1: 4 in one box, one in each of the other 6-- 10C4 ways to choose the 4 letters that go in.
    Case 2: 3 in one box, two in another, 1 in rest--10C5 ways to choose the ones going into two boxes times 5C3 ways to choose which ones go into the first.
    Case 3: 2 in three boxes, 1 in the rest -- 10C6 * 6C4 * 4C2 ways

Then sum the 3 cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted