Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order differential equations with constant coeff. The Particular integrals.

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

For the differential equation

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+4 \frac{dy}{dx}=sinx[/tex]

One root of the auxiliary equation is '0' meaning the particular integral for the right hand side is x(Asinx+Bcosx). But is there any formal proof for making this claim that for 0 as one root is it is x(Asinx+Bcosx) or 0 were the two roots, the PI would be x^2(Asinx+Bcosx)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2008 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems to me that [itex]A \sin x + B \cos x[/itex] will work just fine. You only need the additional factor of [itex]x[/itex] if you have a double root.

To see why it works, simply substitute [itex]y = A \sin x + B \cos x[/itex] into your equation. You should end up with

[tex]f(A,B) \sin x + g(A,B) \cos x = \sin x[/tex]

To get both sides to be equal for all x, you need to solve two equations in the two unknowns, A and B.

4. Jul 3, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Ah dumb me I was thinking of the wrong example and made the wrong statement.

But what I really wanted to know is if there is any proof for why a PI should be

x(Acosax+Bsinax) when 'a' is one or both roots of the auxiliary equation (RHS=sine or cosine)
    or xe^ax for 'a' as one root and x^2e^ax for 'a' as both roots (RHS=some exp. function)

New example:

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+4 \frac{dy}{dx}+4y=6e^{-2x}[/tex]

For this example: The PI is of the form [itex]Ax^2e^{-2x}[/itex], but how did we know that we needed to multiply by [itex]x^2[/itex]?

5. Jul 3, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

There's a rule for the choice of polynomial used in the method of undetermined coefficients. I quote this from my notes:

Suppose [itex]r(x)=P_m(x)e^{\mu x}[/itex] is the RHS of the 2nd order linear ODE of polynomial degree m, then the DE has a particular solution of the following form:
    [tex]y= x^k Q_m (x) e^{\mu x}[/tex]
    where Qm(x) is an undetermined polynomail with degree m, k is the multiplicity of the root [itex]\mu[/itex] in the characteristic/auxiliary equation [itex]\lambda^2 + a\lambda + b = 0[/itex]. If [itex]\mu[/itex] is not a root of the equation, then k=0.

Unfortunately I don't know how to prove that the above rule would always work.

6. Jul 4, 2008 #5

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Defennder:

To prove these things, all you need to do is plug the formula in and take the derivatives. Then use induction to prove it for all orders of linear, constant-coefficient ODEs.

7. Jul 4, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

Differentiating the above twice gives me a very complicated and tedious expression to work with. Ouch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?