3 math classes in one semester- too much?

In summary: So it really depends on the program and the department.This is a difficult question. It really depends on your major and the classes you are taking. Some people find linear algebra and proofs harder than other math classes while others find them easier.
SMA_01
I'm considering a math major, and for next semester registered for Calc 3, Intro to Linear Algebra, and Mathematical Proof & structures, I'm also taking organic chemistry and a history class...has anyone had experience with more than one math class? I mean is it unbearable?
Also, I was wondering, how hard is linear algebra and proofs?

Physics news on Phys.org
I did this my freshman year with the same classes and a stat class. If you have good teacher it shouldn't be a problem. I found that proofs helped with linear. Linear algebra isn't that hard of a class if it isn't focused on proofs. Proofs on the other hand was hard. Some people find proofs eaiser than others, but I am not one them.

I'm taking partial differential equations, modern algebra, and Fourier analysis this semester. It's definitely doable if you prioritize.

yea I'm doing a similar thing except instead of Calc 3 I'm doing Statistics. But I'm not a math major so I've also got all my EE classes on top of that.

Should be doable but hard. Organic Chemistry is usually a large time sink as well especially if you're doing a lab.

You'll live.

When I was doing my undergrad, I took 3 math classes, 1 statistics class and 1 CS class in the same semester. I don't know how I survived.

3 math classes is doable in general, but it sounds like you probably haven't taken that much math yet. Your linear algebra and proofs classes will probably be pretty different from math classes you've taken before, and might take some extra time to get used to. If I could make a recommendation, I'd say, take Calculus III and Mathematical Proof this semester and save Linear Algebra for a later semester. That should help you get used to more mature, rigorous math. In another semester or two, three math classes per semester will be much more manageable.

Sounds do-able. That is, if those are your only "hard" classes. Sounds like a good combo. Get ready for a lot of vectors!

It's not doable with Organic Chemistry and the history class.

Drop both of them or drop one of the math classes.

The mathematical proof class is going to beat you hard unless you have had experience with proof based math before.

How many labs a week for the organic class?

I did two math courses a semester the last two, and they were quite easy (though the first was in calc 1 and 2, which I had already done, though not as successfully as I would like). Last semester I did linear algebra, diff eq, and physics 4a (the first semester of physics) and achieved a 3.0 while doing things I should not have been doing (easy 4.0 for dedicated students). This current semester I am taking physics 4b and 4c, and doing quite well in each.

All it takes is study. The organic chem class will probably take most of your time (lab and hw), though if you are committed to zero life outside of school it is certainly possible.

Take my advice with a grain of salt; the other posters have great advice as well.

Don't judge class loads by content, judge them by credit. Even a 'blow off' history class can eat your face with essays.

I think it is do-able.
I'm taking two math classes this quarter, an equivalent of Calculus II and a Proofs class. I'm also taking intro E&M where the professor is using a lot of multivariable calculus and some vector calculus. Both aren't prerequisites of the class, so I kind of have to learn them on the fly. This class also has a lab with long lab reports due every week.
Other than that I'm taking a composition class and a class about the bible.
It's ok, it's a lot of hard work, but it's fine, and I have time for social activities.

FWIW, I've never taken organic chemistry and don't know how much work it entails. I did hear that it's hard and requires a lot of work. I think it would have been too much for me if I had to take organic chemistry right now instead of one of the two non physics/math classes.

In Canada, most Math degrees are at the honours level and require 3-4 Math courses each semester for years 2-4. Generally, 70% of your entire degree is based on your major. I've heard much different things from friends in the US. My friend got a Biochem degree with about half as many Biochem courses as the Biochem majors require here.

1. Is taking 3 math classes in one semester too much for a typical student?

It depends on the individual's academic ability and time management skills. Some students may find it manageable, while others may struggle to keep up with the workload.

2. Will taking 3 math classes in one semester negatively affect my GPA?

It is possible that taking 3 math classes in one semester may be challenging and could potentially lower your GPA if you are unable to successfully complete all three classes. It is important to consider your current workload and commitments before enrolling in multiple math classes.

3. How much time should I expect to spend studying for 3 math classes in one semester?

The amount of time spent studying for these classes will vary depending on your individual learning style and the difficulty of the classes. However, it is safe to assume that you will need to dedicate a significant amount of time outside of class to fully understand the material and keep up with assignments.

4. What are the potential benefits of taking 3 math classes in one semester?

Taking multiple math classes in one semester can help you progress through your degree program more quickly and efficiently. It can also allow you to focus on one subject area and potentially deepen your understanding of complex mathematical concepts.

5. Are there any tips for successfully managing 3 math classes in one semester?

Some tips for managing multiple math classes in one semester include staying organized, creating a study schedule, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and staying on top of assignments and deadlines. It is also important to prioritize self-care and not overwork yourself.