• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Courses Is this a good idea for a 21-credit semester?

• Thread starter TechieDork
  • Start date
I'm freshly fininished my 2nd semester of a first year physics undergrad program

(A on every class excepts for chemistry because of some health issues that day)

And these are courses that I'm taking for my first semester of 2nd year.

***Gened Political Science 3 credits

Intro Bio Lecture 3 credits

Lab Bio 1 credit
Eng for Physics 1 credit
Scientific Method 1 credit

Mechanics 1 3 credits
Thermodynamics 1 3 credits
Maths for Physcs 1 3 credits

***Free elective : Linear Algebra 1 3 credits

I choose L.A. 1 as a free elective because I want to build my mathematical maturity for the upcoming Q.M. classes but this class in my UNI is well known for its rigour and high failing rates.

My current GPA lies between 3.5-3.7. I need to maintain >=3.25 for a scholarship program and I also have to publish 2 projects as well.

Is this a good idea?

No. Just don't take LA until next semester, you already have a math methods course which should be more than good enough.

No. Just don't take LA until next semester, you already have a math methods course which should be more than good enough.
This is the only class that fits my free elective schedule ,LOL

jtbell

Mentor
Why do you need to take 21 credits? Are you trying to finish your degree early?

Dr. Courtney

Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I don't recommend 21 credits in 1 semester.

Why do you need to take 21 credits? Are you trying to finish your degree early?
Because It's mandatory, 21-22 credits a semester is considered normal for a Bsc degree in my country.

Not only having to take 20+ credits a semester. there are mandatory extracurriculum activities hours one needed in order to graduate aswell.

The extracurries in my UNI are really time-consuming and stressful.

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Because It's mandatory, 21-22 credits a semester is considered normal for a Bsc degree in my country.

Not only having to take 20+ credits a semester. there are mandatory extracurriculum activities hours one needed in order to graduate aswell.

The extracurries in my UNI are really time-consuming and stressful.
?
?

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just curious, are credit hours interpreted there as in US, x credit hrs means that for every hr of class you need x hrs of study? If so, how do you find some 50hrs week of study plus some 10hrs of course per week? How many total hrs for the degree?

My advice was also assuming you were in the USA, if 20-21 hours is normal, then it is normal. If i were in your shoes, maybe a course on differential equations would be more beneficial during this semester than a course on linear algebra, but both will be work, and if you can only fit linear algebra, well then... guess you have to take it?

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Moral of the story: If you are asking for advice, and especially if you're new here, describe all the "back story", especially where in the world you are. Otherwise, you'll get advises that do not apply to you, and we'll waste our time and effort giving you advises that do not apply to you.

Zz.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Moral of the story: If you are asking for advice, and especially if you're new here, describe all the "back story", especially where in the world you are. Otherwise, you'll get advises that do not apply to you, and we'll waste our time and effort giving you advises that do not apply to you.

Zz.
I agree, but let's not hold our breaths, good chance s/he will never come back.