1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 particles A,B,C of masses m,2m,3m lie at rest in that order on

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    long questions but only need a little help i think:

1) 3 particles A,B,C of masses m,2m,3m lie at rest in that orderon smooth horizontal table.the distance between each particle is a> A slack light inelastic string of length 2a connects A and B and an exactly similar slack string connects BC. A is projected in direction CBA with speed V,find the time whihc elapsesbefore C begins to move. Find the speed that C begins to move. show that the ratio of the impulsive tensions in BC and AB when C is jerked into motion is 3:1

done first 2 parts, answers are 4a/V and V/6

book no help with last part so i had a play and get the following:

let tension between A and B be S tension between B C be T

then F=ma gives

for B: -S+T=2ma
    for C: T=3ma

so -S+3ma=2ma giving S=ma

so T/S=3.

anywhere near correct reasoning to get the answer?

2)

a smooth plane is fixed at 30 degrees with its lower edge at a height a above a horizontal table. 2 particles P and Q, each of mass M are connected by a light inetensible string of length 2a,and P is held at the lower edge of the inclined plane while Q rests on the table vertically below P. the particle P is then projected with velocity u upwards along a line of greatest slope of the plane. find the impulsive tension in the string when Q is jerked into motion. determine the magnitude of u if Q just reaches the lower edge of the plane and the tension in the string while Q is moving.

all i can get done on this is to find rt(u^2-ga)as the velocity of P when it has travelled a distance a.

now i guess:

now let velocity after jerk be V1

have for Q: impulse=V1-o
    for P impulse =rt(u^2-ga)-V1

so V1=0.5rt(u^2-ga)

now tension is change in momentum of either of the particles so change in momentum of Q is
    m[0.5rt(u^2-ga)]-m[0]=m[0.5rt(u^2-ga)]

now that is the correct answer but as in question 1 have i got there in a correct way?
    any help with the last parts ? not really got anywhere with them.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2
    Re: momentum

If you could draw pictures, i could help you, i'm having trouble visualzing this

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook