3 science APs or 2 science APs and Spanish 5 AP

• Thread starter ilovephysics0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Science
In summary: However, I would say that you should take them both in the spring semester since that is when they are offered.
ilovephysics0
I am picking classes for my senior year right now, and I originally planned on taking AP Chemistry, AP Physics C Mechanics , and AP Physics Electricity and Magnetism, along with AP Calc and AP Comparative Government(I need a Social Studies class) and English (regular). (Oh and btw, I won't be taking all the classes at once, since our school runs on block scheduling and I'd take a Max of 4 classes at anyone time. EDIT: Also, Mech is only offered in the 1st semester, and EandM in the 2nd, so there's no chance I'd take them both together.). However, I just realized that I couldn't fit in AP Spanish in my schedule. As a prospective engineering major, Should I sacrifice one of my science APs to take AP Spanish or just don't take Spanish at all senior year. I am in Spanish 4 as a junior, and I do believe that level 4 language meets the college requirements of 4 years of language at most colleges, but I'm not sure just how much colleges would value consistency into level 5 of a language.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say drop E&M, and take spanish.

It seems like a bad idea to take mechanics and E&M at once if you are just learning them for the first time and, regardless of what universities thinking in terms of looking at your app, knowing a second language is really good.

Honestly, I see what you're trying to do, focus on the sciences because it's your career path, but it isn't necessary to be honest. I got into a pretty good school (many moons ago) without even taking an AP physics class of any sort and my major was Mathematics and Physics. Nevertheless, on a more practical level, taking Mech and E&M together doesn't seem like a good idea. Mech can be, and usually is,a time intensive class because it requires a different frame of thinking, something a guy like me wasn't really used too, after some time I got used to it, but before then, it was tough business. I can't imagine taking that and E&M together.

Plus, if you take Spanish, you'll probably be exempt from any language requirement your future university may have and thus provided you will valuable time to take more advance engineer courses or basket weaving, whatever makes you happy.

FieldDuck said:
Mech can be, and usually is,a time intensive class because it requires a different frame of thinking, something a guy like me wasn't really used too, after some time I got used to it, but before then, it was tough business. I can't imagine taking that and E&M together.
Well Mech is only offered first semester, and E and M is only offered 2nd semester, and is pretty common for kids at my school to double up in both classes.

ilovephysics0 said:
Well Mech is only offered first semester, and E and M is only offered 2nd semester, and is pretty common for kids at my school to double up in both classes.
I think I misread your post then.

Last edited:
Jorriss said:
I think I misunderstood your post then, as taking two separate classes in two semesters is not really doubling up in any sense of the word.

What would you be taking first semester? And what second semester?

1st semester classes Sept to Feb:
AP Physics Mech
AP Chem(Starts 2nd Marking Period in Nov and lasts till end of the year).
Calc(Same with Chem in duration).
Comp Gov or English.
Gym and an elective in the space before Chem and Calc Starts

2nd Semester classes Feb to June
AP Physics E and M
Remainder of AP Chem and AP Calc.
Comp Gov or English

Comp gov and English are offered both semesters, so I don't know when I'll take them exactly.

1. What are the benefits of taking 3 science APs or 2 science APs and Spanish 5 AP?

There are several benefits to taking multiple AP science courses or combining science APs with Spanish 5 AP. These courses can help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, prepare you for college-level coursework, and potentially earn college credit.

2. Which science APs should I take if I choose to take 3 science APs?

The science APs you choose to take should align with your interests and strengths. Some popular options include AP Biology, AP Chemistry, and AP Physics. It may also be beneficial to take a mix of life science, physical science, and environmental science APs.

3. Is it better to take 2 science APs and Spanish 5 AP or 3 science APs?

Both options have their own benefits. Choosing to take 2 science APs and Spanish 5 AP can help you develop a well-rounded skillset and show colleges that you are proficient in both science and language. However, taking 3 science APs can show a strong focus and dedication to the subject.

4. How can I prepare for 3 science APs or 2 science APs and Spanish 5 AP?

To prepare for these courses, it is important to review foundational concepts and skills in each subject. You can also practice with past AP exam questions and seek additional resources such as review books or online courses. It is also important to manage your time effectively and stay organized throughout the school year.

5. Can I still take AP exams if I take 3 science APs or 2 science APs and Spanish 5 AP?

Yes, you can still take AP exams for all of the courses you are enrolled in. However, it is important to keep in mind that these courses may require a significant amount of time and effort, so make sure to plan accordingly and prioritize your studying.