1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 variables 3 equations (2 linear 1 quadratic)

1. Jan 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find three numbers x,y,z satisfying the following equations:
    9x-6y-10z=1
    -6x+4y+7z=0
    x2+y2+z2=9

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The book suggests that the best approach is to express 2 unknowns in terms of the third unknown from the first 2 linear equations and, by substituting these expressions in the last equation, obtain a quadratic equation for the third unknown.
    So i try this:
    4(9x-6y-10z=1)= 36x-24y-40z=4
    6(-6x+4y+7z=0)= -36x+24y+42z=0
    (36x-24y-40z=4) + (-36x+24y+42z=0)= 2z=4
    z=2
    I figure I've gone wrong somewhere because this is not the strategy outlined in the book (it's also not the correct answer for z according to the book)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have stated the problem correctly, you are right: z = 2, no matter what the book says. In fact, there are two solutions; they both have z = 2 but have different x,y values.

4. Jan 20, 2013 #3
    Thanks for your reply. On further inspection I realise that the book does in fact say that z is equal to 2. However this still leaves me a bit confused about the purpose of the quadratic equation since it seems it is superfluous to the requirements for providing a solution.

The problem is question 1A, page 44 (in the pdf digital copy. Or 22 in the hard copy)
    of this book:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/39412845/Mathematics-and-Plausible-Reasoning-Vol1-Induction-and-Analogy-in-Mathematics-Polya-1954 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jan 20, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you know z = 2 you can put this into the first and third equations (for example), to get two equations in the two unknowns x and y. One of the equations is linear, so that helps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Jan 20, 2013 #5
    Thanks for the help I'll try that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook