1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D Cartestian Coordinate Vector Problem

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1
    EDIT: There was an issue where half of the post was missing, so I apologise but i have redone it

I was not sure if this was the most appropriate forum for this or not, so feel free to move if needed.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A football (soccer ball) with a diametre of 0.44m is tracked using a motion tracking camera system and is found to have a trajectory of

[itex] x=(-2.5+5t)m \\
    y=(2+3t)m \\
    z=(0.5 +2t-5t^2)m[/itex]

There are a few parts to the question and the part before the one I am stuck on asked to find the time when the centre of the ball touches the ground, so what I did was set z=0.22 and solved for t using quadratic forumla which produced the answer 0.513 s which I am happy with. The next part asks:

What is the velocity immediately before it hits the ground?

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

It is this bit which I am a bit stuck on, mainly because the way the question is set out is different to any similar kind of problems I have done previously. The only thing I can think of is differentiating each of those equations for the x, y and z components to get the x,y and z components of the velocity but that would only leave the z component as a function of time, I suppose that doesnt matter, but its the only thing I can think of, even though we have not covered this in the first two lectures we have had of this module.

Does this make sense?

[itex]
    \frac{dx}{dt} = v_x = 5 \\
    \frac{dy}{dt} = v_y = 3 \\
    \frac{dz}{dt} = v_z = 2-10t \\
    [/itex]

And then @ t=0.513
    [itex]
    v_z = 2 - 10(0.513)=-3.13 \\
    \, \\
    \therefore \vec{v}= (5 \hat{i} + 3 \hat{j} - 3.13 \hat{k} ) m/s \\
    \therefore |\vec{v}|=\sqrt{5^2+3^2+3.13^2} = 6.62 m/s

[/itex]
    Any help is really appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know the time it hits. What is the relationship between position and velocity? How does it look at an arbitrary time?

4. Oct 2, 2014 #3
    Yes I do know the time it hits (as long as I worked it out correctly, but for the sake of argument lets say that I did). Velocity is the derivative of postiion with respect to time?? What do you mean by how does it look at an arbitrary time?

EDIT: I just realised maybe you only say the post when half of it was missing? Something happened when I first posted it and half of the post got deleted, but its back there now. If not and you saw it as you see it now then I apologise.

5. Oct 2, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I posted before your edit of the OP. Your approach looks reasonable. Without a force acting in the x and y directions, the velocity components in those directions will not change.

6. Oct 2, 2014 #5
    Ah right ok, thanks for taking a look :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted