Prove that the derivative of the position vector equals the velocity vector

In summary: Well, if the direction is constant, radial motion (constant ##\theta## and ##\phi##) is the only choice. Or are there other choices? I suppose it can be done by using the expressions of x,y,z in spherical coordinates and using the fact that the derivatives of ##\theta## and ##\phi## are zero.
winnie_d_poop
Homework Statement
Given a constant direction, take the time derivative of both sides of the position vector and show that they are equal
Relevant Equations
##\dot{\vec{r}}=\dot{x}\hat{i}+\dot{y}\hat{j}+\dot{z}\hat{k}##

##\vec{r}=r\hat{r}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}##

##r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}##

##\hat{r}=\frac{x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}##

##\dot{r}=\frac{\dot{x}x+\dot{y}y+\dot{z}z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}##
1.)##\dot{\vec{r}}=\dot{x}\hat{i}+\dot{y}\hat{j}+\dot{z}\hat{k}=\dot{r}\hat{r}## since the unit vector is constant

2.) ##\dot{r}\hat{r}=\frac{x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}\frac{\dot{x}x+\dot{y}y+\dot{z}z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}##

3.)##\dot{x}\hat{i}+\dot{y}\hat{j}+\dot{z}\hat{k}=\frac{x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}\frac{\dot{x}x+\dot{y}y+\dot{z}z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}##

This is where I'm stuck. How do I get both sides to be equal?

EDIT: I made it through the problem but did I do it right?

Attachments

• B34D9C2F-ECE7-447C-9994-708ED7C5133E.jpeg
    B34D9C2F-ECE7-447C-9994-708ED7C5133E.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
winnie_d_poop said:
1.)##\dot{\vec{r}}=\dot{x}\hat{i}+\dot{y}\hat{j}+\dot{z}\hat{k}=\dot{r}\hat{r}## since the unit vector is constant
Constant in magnitude but not direction. The coordinate unit vectors, ##\hat{i}## etc., are constant.

winnie_d_poop said:
Homework Statement:: Given a constant direction, take the time derivative of both sides of the position vector and show that they are equal
If two functions (of time) are equal, then their time derivatives must be equal.
$$\vec a(t) = \vec b(t) \ \Rightarrow \ \vec a'(t) = \vec b'(t)$$
If you start with an equation and differentiate it, you still have an equation. That's generally and trivially true.

Am I misunderstanding the question?

PeroK said:
If two functions (of time) are equal, then their time derivatives must be equal.
$$\vec a(t) = \vec b(t) \ \Rightarrow \ \vec a'(t) = \vec b'(t)$$
If you start with an equation and differentiate it, you still have an equation. That's generally and trivially true.

Am I misunderstanding the question?
I think the problem is poorly stated in the OP. I think the problem wants us to verify that taking the time derivative of the position vector in the cartesian coordinate system equals the time derivative of the position vector in the polar coordinate system. Of course we know that they are equal as you note and of course this holds in any case and not only if the direction is constant.

Likes PeroK
Delta2 said:
I think the problem is poorly stated in the OP. I think the problem wants us to verify that taking the time derivative of the position vector in the cartesian coordinate system equals the time derivative of the position vector in the polar coordinate system. Of course we know that they are equal as you note and of course this holds in any case and not only if the direction is constant.
Is the question to find an expression for velocity in polar coordinates? That would make sense.

And, then, an expression for acceleration in polar coordinates (which is, of course, quite complicated).

Although, in that case we would normally have only two dimensions.

winnie_d_poop said:
Homework Statement:: Given a constant direction, take the time derivative of both sides of the position vector and show that they are equal
Relevant Equations:: ##\dot{\vec{r}}=\dot{x}\hat{i}+\dot{y}\hat{j}+\dot{z}\hat{k}##

##\vec{r}=r\hat{r}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}##

##r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}##

##\hat{r}=\frac{x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}##

##\dot{r}=\frac{\dot{x}x+\dot{y}y+\dot{z}z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}##

This is where I'm stuck. How do I get both sides to be equal?
You need to use that when the direction is constant then ##\hat v=\hat r##.

Also that $$x\dot x+y\dot y+z\dot z=\vec{r}\cdot\vec{v}=|\vec{r}||\vec{v}|$$. The first equality is from the expression of dot product in cartesian coordinates. The second equality is from the expression of dot product as ##|\vec{r}||\vec{v}|\cos\theta## where the ##\theta## angle is zero, again because ##\hat v=\hat r##.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Constant in magnitude but not direction. The coordinate unit vectors, ##\hat{i}## etc., are constant.
It is given that the direction (of motion) is constant. I think the purpose of this problem is to show that the condition of constant direction implies many different things, check post #6.

Delta2 said:
You need to use that when the direction is constant then ##\hat v=\hat r##.
That's true for radial motion. In which case, we have constant ##\theta## and ##\phi##. And only ##r(t)## is a function of time. Then, we can express ##x(t), y(t), z(t)## in terms of ##r(t), \theta, \phi##.

In any case, you need a relationship between ##x, y, z## here.

PeroK said:
That's true for radial motion. In which case, we have constant ##\theta## and ##\phi##. And only ##r(t)## is a function of time. Then, we can express ##x(t), y(t), z(t)## in terms of ##r(t), \theta, \phi##.

In any case, you need a relationship between ##x, y, z## here.
Well, if the direction is constant, radial motion (constant ##\theta## and ##\phi##) is the only choice. Or are there other choices? I suppose it can be done by using the expressions of x,y,z in spherical coordinates and using the fact that the derivatives of ##\theta## and ##\phi## are zero.
I don't know if it can be done using the relationship that ##x(t),y(t),z(t) ##are in the same line for all t.

Delta2 said:
Well, if the direction is constant, radial motion (constant ##\theta## and ##\phi##) is the only choice. Or are there other choices?
I initially assumed we were talking about the direction of motion. Which clearly doesn't have to be radial. Probably we are talking about constant ##\hat r##, as you've assumed.

Sorry for the confusion everybody, I was just trying to show that one side of 3.) is equal to the other side.

winnie_d_poop said:
3.)##\dot{x}\hat{i}+\dot{y}\hat{j}+\dot{z}\hat{k}=\frac{x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}+z\hat{k}}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}\frac{\dot{x}x+\dot{y}y+\dot{z}z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}##

My solution (attached to the original problem) used the definition of the dot product and the fact that the angle between r and v is 0 (both pointed out by delta!) I just want to make sure I didn't do anything wrong and get the right answer by mistake.

Thanks!

winnie_d_poop said:
Sorry for the confusion everybody, I was just trying to show that one side of 3.) is equal to the other side.
My solution (attached to the original problem) used the definition of the dot product and the fact that the angle between r and v is 0 (both pointed out by delta!) I just want to make sure I didn't do anything wrong and get the right answer by mistake.

Thanks!
What are you actually trying to do here?

What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

Why is it important to prove that the derivative of the position vector equals the velocity vector?

Proving this relationship is important because it provides a mathematical basis for understanding the relationship between position and velocity. It also allows for the prediction and analysis of an object's motion.

How do you prove that the derivative of the position vector equals the velocity vector?

This relationship can be proven using the definition of a derivative and the properties of vectors. It involves taking the limit of the difference quotient of the position vector as the change in time approaches zero.

What is the significance of the position and velocity vectors in physics?

In physics, the position and velocity vectors are used to describe the motion of an object. The position vector represents the location of the object in space, while the velocity vector represents its speed and direction of motion.

Can this relationship be applied to other types of vectors besides position and velocity?

Yes, this relationship can be applied to any vector that represents a changing quantity, such as acceleration. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and can be used to analyze various physical phenomena.