3D Equillibrium Statics Problem - Reaction Forces/Moments

• Thread starter mjgarrin
  • Start date
mjgarrin
Hello, it has been quite some time since my statics class, and I am having a problem determining the reaction forces and moments in a rigid body. I have included a sketch of my problem, and I am hoping someone can help guide me to a solution. I apologize if the sketch is a bit crude.

I have a beam that is fixed at one end. On the opposite end, there is a vertical force acting directly on the beam (F1 = 1,000 lbf), and a horizontal force acting on a bar attached to the beam (F2 = 250 lbf).

The beam is supported by a roller, and has a reaction load in the vertical directly only, located 30 inches from the end of the beam.

The beam is also supported by a rod, located 12 inches from the fixed support, and the rod is at an 18 degree angle.

I am trying to find the reaction Forces as well as the Moments to show this scenario in static equilibrium.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Statics problem.png
    Statics problem.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 361

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Can you describe the application? 1000 pounds is a lot of force...

mjgarrin
I just gave made up numbers just to get an idea how to solve such a problem. I agree, the forces may not translate well to the size of the beam. Any force would work.

jonny_d
Sum forces in the x, y, and z directions and equate to zero. Also choose a convenient point(s) to sum moments around and equate to zero. Start here and let's see how many unknowns you have. Also since it's a 3D system I would recommend using cartesian vector notation.

mjgarrin
I think the added fixed rod is causing me some issues. I tried summing the forces and moments, and got the following in the attached sketch. I think the forces are right, but I am not sure the moments are accurate...

Attachments

• Statics problem2.png
    Statics problem2.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 363

Suggested for: 3D Equillibrium Statics Problem - Reaction Forces/Moments

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views