1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D isotropic harmonic oscillator vs. diatomic molecule

1. May 29, 2010 #1
    The Hamiltonian of the diatomic molecule is given by H = p1^2 / 2m + p2^2 / 2m + 1/2 k R^2, where R equals the distance between atoms. Using this result, given in standard texbooks, I keep geting C = 9/2 kT instead of 7/2 kT for heat capacity. I've traced down my problem to the potential energy term. I seem to be calculating as if I have a 3D isotropic oscillator instead of two point particles connected by a spring. It appears as these two systems have the same Hamiltonian, but that surely can't be so. My question is, what's the right Hamiltonian for a given system and how to see that these two systems have different degrees of freedom?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

4. May 29, 2010 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

Basically, your error consists in writing R instead of R-R_0 with R_0 being the equilibrium distance of the molecule. Hence there is no longer a single minimum at R=0 but a sphere of degenerate minima.

5. May 29, 2010 #4
    Thanks for the link! So, you're saying that the textbooks give the wrong Hamiltonian? It should be R = |r1 - r2| - r0, where r1 and r2 are vector positions of both particles? I don't see how this reduces the number od quadratic contributions to the Hamiltonian from 3 to 1 as is neccessary for the correct heat capacity.

6. May 29, 2010 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

"The textbooks"? How many did you check?

7. May 29, 2010 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

You get 3/2kT for the translational degrees of freedom of the center of mass, kT for the approximately harmonic motion around r_0 in the radial co-ordinate (distance) and kT for the rotation trough the degenerate minima giving 7/2 kT in total.

8. Jun 1, 2010 #7
    This is a problem from e.g. Huang. Doesn't the r0 term couple rotational and vibrational degrees of freedom? I.e. r0 is R dependent because of the centrifugal effect?

9. Jun 1, 2010 #8

DrDu

Science Advisor

Indeed it is, but you can usually treat this dependence as a small perturbation. Obviously, the dependence on R-R_0 is not exactly quadratic, etc. However, that Hamiltonian and wavefunction can be justified for a diatomic molecule as the zeroth order term in a development in the quotient of electron to nuclear mass. That was the content of the original paper by Born M, Oppenheimer R. 1927. Ann. Physik 84:457–84

10. Jun 1, 2010 #9
    Thank you very much for the clarification! Is there, perhaps, an exact solution for the rotating oscillator?

11. Jun 1, 2010 #10

DrDu

Science Advisor

You are wellcome. I fear there is no exact solution for the rotator oscillator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook