Can (x,y,z) be used to represent both a point and a vector?

In summary, vectors in R^3 can be described using either the standard basis or the coordinates of the vector, as long as the basis is clearly stated. This can sometimes cause confusion, but in general, a point can be treated as a vector and vice versa. Some texts use the ambiguity for specific purposes, while others prefer to use <a, b, c> to distinguish between a vector and a point.
C0nfused
Hi everybody,
I have one question about vectors of R^3:
First of all, a point is described by its co-ordinates (x,y,z).
A vector r is described in this way: r=ax+by+cz ,where {x,y,z} is the standard basis (the numbers a,b,c are the "coordinates" of the vector). But i have seen in several books that vectors can be written like this: r =(x,y,z) where x,y,z are its co-ordinates, as long as the basis is clearly stated. So when we write (x,y,z) we may mean the point, or the vector? For example, if we define a function f:R^3->R^3: (x,y,z)->(f1(x,y,z),f2(x,y,z),f3(x,y,z)) , we can think of f(x,y,z) both as a point and a vector? I mean, can we write
f(a,b,c)=f1(a,b,c)x+f2(a,b,c)y+f3(a,b,c)z ?

I hope this makes sense.
Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yeah, in general you can treat a point as a vector, and vice versa depending on what you need to do with it. If for some reason it would benefit you to think of f(x,y,z) as a point, then do so, and if you need to treat it as a vector, do so. Normally, there should be no confusion either, since if you write (a,b,c) x (d,e,f) then it's clear that you're treating them as vectors since you're taking their cross product, which is an operation of vectors, not points.

Thanks for your answer.

What happens is that the "unit" vectors x,y, and z (or, and I think more common i, j, k) are "assumed" in writing (a, b, c). That is, (a, b, c) is just a shorthand way of ax+ by+ cz.

Yes, we do also use (a, b, c) to mean a point so that can be confusing. However, some texts make use of the ambiguity since the vector ax+ by+ cz can be thought of as the vector specifically from the point (0,0,0) to the point (a,b,c). Others, however, prefer the notation <a, b, c> for vectors to distinguish a vector from a point.

1. What is a 3D vector space?

A 3D vector space is a mathematical concept that represents a set of three-dimensional vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It is used to model physical phenomena and solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. How is a vector represented in 3D space?

A vector in 3D space is typically represented by an ordered triple of numbers, with each number representing the magnitude of the vector along the x, y, and z axes, respectively. This is also known as the vector's components.

3. What operations can be performed on vectors in 3D space?

In 3D vector space, vectors can be added and subtracted, scaled by a scalar value, and multiplied or divided by other vectors. These operations are used to manipulate and calculate the properties of vectors, such as their length, direction, and angle between them.

4. How is the magnitude of a vector calculated in 3D space?

The magnitude, or length, of a vector in 3D space can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of a vector is equal to the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, the magnitude of a vector is the square root of the sum of the squares of its x, y, and z components.

5. What is the difference between a vector and a point in 3D space?

A vector in 3D space represents a direction and magnitude, while a point represents a specific location in space. Vectors can be used to describe the movement from one point to another, but they do not have a specific location themselves.