1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D vector space

1. Sep 24, 2005 #1
    Hi everybody,
    I have one question about vectors of R^3:
    First of all, a point is described by its co-ordinates (x,y,z).
    A vector r is described in this way: r=ax+by+cz ,where {x,y,z} is the standard basis (the numbers a,b,c are the "coordinates" of the vector). But i have seen in several books that vectors can be written like this: r =(x,y,z) where x,y,z are its co-ordinates, as long as the basis is clearly stated. So when we write (x,y,z) we may mean the point, or the vector? For example, if we define a function f:R^3->R^3: (x,y,z)->(f1(x,y,z),f2(x,y,z),f3(x,y,z)) , we can think of f(x,y,z) both as a point and a vector? I mean, can we write
    f(a,b,c)=f1(a,b,c)x+f2(a,b,c)y+f3(a,b,c)z ?

I hope this makes sense.
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, in general you can treat a point as a vector, and vice versa depending on what you need to do with it. If for some reason it would benefit you to think of f(x,y,z) as a point, then do so, and if you need to treat it as a vector, do so. Normally, there should be no confusion either, since if you write (a,b,c) x (d,e,f) then it's clear that you're treating them as vectors since you're taking their cross product, which is an operation of vectors, not points.

4. Sep 27, 2005 #3
    Thanks for your answer.

5. Sep 27, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What happens is that the "unit" vectors x,y, and z (or, and I think more common i, j, k) are "assumed" in writing (a, b, c). That is, (a, b, c) is just a shorthand way of ax+ by+ cz.

Yes, we do also use (a, b, c) to mean a point so that can be confusing. However, some texts make use of the ambiguity since the vector ax+ by+ cz can be thought of as the vector specifically from the point (0,0,0) to the point (a,b,c). Others, however, prefer the notation <a, b, c> for vectors to distinguish a vector from a point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook