3rd degree polynomial is called a cubic

In summary, a 3rd degree polynomial is a mathematical expression with terms raised to the power of 3, called a cubic because of its highest degree. It differs from a quadratic polynomial in terms of degree and the number of real roots it can have. The general form is f(x)=ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, and it has various real-life applications such as modeling population growth and fluid dynamics.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A 3rd degree polynomial is called a cubic, and a 2nd degree is a quadratic. But quad implies 4. Why is a 2nd degree called quadratic?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The word comes from the Latin word quadratus, meaning "square". Quadratic functions deal with calculating the area of squares.

Thank you! You didn't make up that screen name just to answer my question, did you :)

tony873004 said:
You didn't make up that screen name just to answer my question, did you :)

LOL no, I just keep to myself mostly. I couldn't resist answering your question though :rofl:

1. What is a 3rd degree polynomial?

A 3rd degree polynomial is a mathematical expression that contains terms with variables raised to the power of 3 (cubic terms) and constants. It can be written in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are coefficients.

2. Why is a 3rd degree polynomial called a cubic?

A 3rd degree polynomial is called a cubic because the highest degree of its terms is 3. The term "cubic" comes from the Latin word "cubus" which means cube, and refers to the fact that the graph of a cubic polynomial is often shaped like a cube.

3. How is a 3rd degree polynomial different from a quadratic polynomial?

A 3rd degree polynomial (cubic) is different from a quadratic polynomial (quadratic) in terms of their degree. A quadratic polynomial has terms with variables raised to the power of 2 (quadratic terms), while a 3rd degree polynomial has terms with variables raised to the power of 3 (cubic terms). Additionally, a cubic polynomial can have two or three real roots, while a quadratic polynomial can only have two real roots.

4. What is the general form of a 3rd degree polynomial function?

The general form of a 3rd degree polynomial function is f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants. This form can be used to graph the polynomial and solve for its roots.

5. What are some real-life applications of cubic polynomials?

Cubic polynomials can be used to model real-life situations such as population growth, projectile motion, and fluid dynamics. They are also commonly used in engineering, physics, and economics to analyze and solve problems. Additionally, cubic splines (a type of cubic polynomial) are used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.