What are the applications of roots of a polynomial?

In summary: So, the root is an algebraic concept that represents a value of the variable that makes the polynomial equation equal to zero. In other words, the root is the value of the variable that satisfies the equation. This is useful in finding the intersection points of two functions, as well as in solving equations in general. In summary, the roots of a polynomial are important in understanding the behavior and relationships between different mathematical models and can help us find solutions to equations and systems of equations.
pairofstrings
Hello.

Assume that I have two polynomials of degree 2, i.e., Quadratic Equations.

Assume that the Quadratic Equation is:
x2 + 7x + 12 = 0
The roots of the Quadratic Equation is -3 and -4.

Assume that there is another Quadratic Equation:
x2 + 8x + 12 = 0
The roots of the Quadratic Equation is -6 and -2.

Then the use of the roots of the polynomial is that:
When I am trying to find where two modeling equations intersect, where information overlaps, this is equivalent to finding the zeroes to know the difference of the models.
The modeling equations I chose to consider is delineated as 1 and 2 above.

What I think is, I find roots of two or more polynomials to know the differences between them or to do something else, like, initiating another curve from any of the roots.
Am I right?
I want to know the applications of a root of a polynomial.
Do you have an example which illustrates use of a root of a polynomial?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why don't you draw (sketch) the two parabolas ?

Solving one of the quadratic equations gives you the (0, 1 or 2) points where they intersect the x-axis (i.e. where the quadratic form has value 0).

Solving for the difference = 0 gives you possible intersection points. In this case the difference of the two forms reads x = 0

BvU said:
In this case the difference of the two forms reads x = 0
From this statement, I think you confirmed that finding roots of a system of polynomials means finding the differences between those polynomials with respect to other polynomial.

Right?

The expression 'roots of polynomials' seems to confuse you.

I don't know what you mean with 'finding roots of a system of polynomials'.

What I do know is that you can try to find solutions for a system of equations.

And I know what the roots of a single polynomial are.

pairofstrings

You know something about roots of polynomial (or at least for quadratic) equations. You give a description more in line with finding the solution of a SYSTEM of quadratic equations.
You are asking in effect, given x^2+7x+12=0 and x^2+8x+12=0, where do the FUNCTIONS which the left-hand members intersect?

If that is what you are asking, then x^2+7x+12=x^2+8x+12.
You can solve this. Subtract x^2 and 12, from both sides.
7x=8x
0=8x-7x
0=x

The two FUNCTIONS would seem to intersect at point (0,12).

Keep studying and this will become clear (if not today, then sometime during Intermediate Algebra).

symbolipoint said:
pairofstrings

You know something about roots of polynomial (or at least for quadratic) equations. You give a description more in line with finding the solution of a SYSTEM of quadratic equations.
You are asking in effect, given x^2+7x+12=0 and x^2+8x+12=0, where do the FUNCTIONS which the left-hand members intersect?

If that is what you are asking, then x^2+7x+12=x^2+8x+12.
You can solve this. Subtract x^2 and 12, from both sides.
7x=8x
0=8x-7x
0=x

The two FUNCTIONS would seem to intersect at point (0,12).

Keep studying and this will become clear (if not today, then sometime during Intermediate Algebra).

Thanks for this information.
I came to an answer to my original post.

The root or zero or solution of an equation is the answer to the question.
I find root, to get the answer to the question.

'y' is a function in 'x'.
y = f(x)

So, to know 'x', I should make 'y' as nothing or zero.
0 = f(x)

Last edited:

What are the applications of roots of a polynomial?

The roots of a polynomial have many applications in various fields of science and mathematics. Some of the most common applications include:

What is the relationship between the roots of a polynomial and its graph?

The roots of a polynomial are the x-intercepts of its graph. This means that the points where the polynomial crosses the x-axis are the solutions to the equation. Additionally, the number of roots of a polynomial corresponds to the degree of the polynomial.

How are the roots of a polynomial useful in solving equations?

The roots of a polynomial can be used to solve polynomial equations. By setting the polynomial equal to zero and factoring it, we can find the roots and thus the solutions to the equation.

What are the applications of the quadratic formula in finding roots of a polynomial?

The quadratic formula is a commonly used method for finding the roots of a polynomial. It is especially useful in solving quadratic equations that cannot be easily factored, and is also used in other areas of mathematics and physics.

How do the roots of a polynomial relate to its factors?

The roots of a polynomial are also known as its zeros. These are the values of x that make the polynomial equal to zero. The relationship between the roots and factors of a polynomial is that the roots are the values of x that make the factors equal to zero. This is why the roots are also referred to as the solutions or zeros of the polynomial.