Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

40 years since the first moon landing

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...almost to the minute. The precise moment is about six minutes away.

I can still remember that day as if it were yesterday. Forty years ago, the world was holding its breath.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTBIr65cL_E

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3
  5. Jul 20, 2009 #4
  6. Jul 20, 2009 #5

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was 10, going on 11 (put away the calculators, that means I'm 50, going on 51) and we were on a cross-country car trip. We had stopped at Soap lake, WA and while we were walking across the beach back to the car, a guy laying on a blanket listening to the radio suddenly jumped up and started yelling "They did it! They did it! They landed on the Moon!

We were on our way to some friends of my parents who lived not too far away and my dad drove as fast as he could, but by the time we got there the EVA was over and I had missed it.:frown:

I was so disappointed that my mom felt sorry enough to let me stay home from school to watch the Apollo 12 landing. Wouldn't you know it, just moments after it was unpacked, the TV camera they were using was accidentally pointed at the Sun and burned out.:cry:

7. Jul 20, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At least you remember where you were, Janus. I don't remember where I was, when Louis Armstrong walked on the moon (I was 5...I should remember!). All I have is pictures...

21l67oz.jpg

8. Jul 20, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

youtube.png

Really belongs in the hoax thread

9. Jul 20, 2009 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That picture gives youtube viewers WAY WAY too much credit. Most of their statements are actually readable and there's much too little cursing and racism. The statements in the picture that is.

10. Jul 20, 2009 #9
    Hahaha, good one. You have to wonder why YouTube doesn't do something about the comments.

11. Jul 20, 2009 #10

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

That was the summer between my sophomore and junior years in high school, and I was at a nearby college studying chemistry in summer school. A bunch of us gathered in the dormitory lounge late in the evening to watch the moon walk on TV. I put my camera on a tripod in front of the TV and took a few pictures.

Attached Files:

12. Jul 20, 2009 #11

russ_watters

Why would Louis Armstrong be playing the guitar? He was a trumpet player! Must be a fake!

Since I wasn't born yet, the best I can do for this is Apollo 13 and the HBO series From the Earth to the Moon.

13. Jul 21, 2009 #12
    There is no question that is obviously Armstrong playing a guitar and not a trumpet. It is a fake though. Where are recordings from this performance? There must be a conspiracy to hide information from us!

14. Jul 21, 2009 #13

jtbell

Don't you know a banjo when you see one? :uhh:

Actually, the real secret is that Tiny Tim came on next with his ukulele.

15. Jul 21, 2009 #14
    I don't know why, but I really have the urge to run my hands through moon dust to feel its texture. I'm curious to know what it feels like since the dust isn't round like sand, but jagged. I think it would be like kitty litter.

When you think about it they were extremely lucky landing those lunar modules. If they came down and a landing pad came down on a rock or sunk into the surface, they would have been stuck there - forever. It could easily have tipped over on landing.

Explains why it has such a wide base and low CG.

16. Jul 21, 2009 #15

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

fourty year sinse the 1st moon facking noobs!

17. Jul 21, 2009 #16

Nifty! I can't believe you had the foresight to take your own pictures of the teevee screen.

I'm trying to think of why I didn't get to see this as it happened. I believe we only got two television stations at that time: CBC English and CBC French. I remember the newspaper front page vividly, though.

18. Jul 21, 2009 #17
    Come on, he very well knows you cannot play a wind instrument, if there is no wind!!! This is certainly not fake.

19. Jul 21, 2009 #18

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look, everyone knows the moon is made out of cheese. Based on the "craters", or bite marks as they're more commonly called, left by the astronauts, there is going to be plenty of wind

20. Jul 21, 2009 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Further proof: Nasa sent up a crate of bread and deli meats and the crew returned mysteriously gaining 40 pounds.

21. Jul 21, 2009 #20
    Here's to Louis Armstrong and all the brave astronauts who walked on the moon, paving the way for entertainers like Michael Jackson.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook