4cos(2x) = 8sin(x)cos(x) -- Help with identities

• Thread starter Vol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary: Now I am stuck. I don't know what identities to use. I can see it was set to 0 for a reason. But why?To get from the first equation to the second, ##8 \sin x \cos x## was subtracted from both sides, so you end up with 0 on the righthand side.
Vol
Homework Statement
4cos2x = 8sinxcosx
4cos2x - 8sinxcosx = 0
Now I am stuck. I don't know what identities to use. I can see it was set to 0 for a reason. But why?
I know that answer is
4 - 4tan2x = 0
Relevant Equations
cos2x = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)?
4cos2x = 8sinxcosx
4cos2x - 8sinxcosx = 0
Now I am stuck. I don't know what identities to use. I can see it was set to 0 for a reason. But why?
I know the answer is
4 - 4tan2x = 0 but how?
Thanks.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Vol said:
Homework Statement:: 4cos2x = 8sinxcosx
4cos2x - 8sinxcosx = 0
I know that answer is
4 - 4tan2x = 0
Relevant Equations:: cos2x = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)?

4cos2x = 8sinxcosx
4cos2x - 8sinxcosx = 0
I know the answer is
4 - 4tan2x = 0 but how?
Thanks.
Do you know an identity for ##\sin 2x ## ?

Also, the problem statement does not say what you are to do.
Are you to solve for x ?
The expression you give as the answer does not seem like much of an answer at all. It's more like a step one might take in solving for x .

sin2x = 2sinxcosx and yes it's for solving for x. By answer I meant the next step.

Likes Delta2
Vol said:
sin2x = 2sinxcosx and yes it's for solving for x. By answer I meant the next step.
That is the identity I had in mind. It should be very helpful.

Likes Delta2
Oh, ok. So, the answer is tan2x = 1. I couldn't see you have to divide both sides by cos2x to turn it into tan2x. Thanks y'all.

Likes Delta2
Vol said:
Oh, ok. So, the answer is tan2x = 1. I couldn't see you have to divide both sides by cos2x to turn it into tan2x. Thanks y'all.
Good !

Now, solve for x .

In general, when trying to solve an algebraic equation. You want to isolate for the solved variable on one side.

so far you have tan2x=1. But you want to solve for x., ie., x=? What can we do on both sides that would result in x=?

You do nothing on both sides. Just think. What angle has a tangent equal to 1? What is the relation of that angle to x?

Vol said:
Relevant Equations:: cos2x = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)?
Generally, you'd want to get everything in terms of functions of either ##2x## or ##x##. The identity you listed might be useful if you chose the latter to rewrite the lefthand side, but it would turn out to be more complicated. The alternative is to rewrite the righthand side in terms of ##2x##. Then as you discovered, the identity @Office_Shredder pointed you to is useful. As you get more practice, you'll develop an intuition for which way to go and it will feel less like guessing.

Vol said:
4cos2x = 8sinxcosx
4cos2x - 8sinxcosx = 0
To get from the first equation to the second, ##8 \sin x \cos x## was subtracted from both sides, so you end up with 0 on the righthand side.

Personally, I wouldn't have bothered. I'd have divided both sides by 4 to get ##\cos 2x = 2 \sin x \cos x## and proceeded from there.

Likes WWGD
Divide through by four and use the double-angle formula ##\sin(2x) = 2\sin(x)\cos(x)## to turn the equation into ##\cos(2x) = \sin(2x)##, then divide through by ##\cos(2x)## and use the identity ##\sin(2x)/\cos(2x) = \tan(2x)## to get ##1 =\tan(2x)##; this is the simplified form of the ##4-4\tan(2x) =0## result that you were given. Now check your unit circle and look up which value of ##x## will make ##\tan(2x)## equal to 1, or equivalently, look up the value of ##x## that makes ##\cos(2x)## and ##\sin(2x)## equal to each other.

What is the equation 4cos(2x) = 8sin(x)cos(x) asking for?

The equation is asking for a solution to the trigonometric equation where the cosine of twice an angle is equal to the product of 8 times the sine of an angle and the cosine of the same angle.

What are the identities used in solving this equation?

The identities used in solving this equation are the double angle identity for cosine (cos(2x) = 1 - 2sin^2(x)) and the product-to-sum identity for cosine (cos(x)cos(y) = 1/2(cos(x+y) + cos(x-y))).

How do you simplify 4cos(2x) = 8sin(x)cos(x) to solve for x?

To simplify the equation, use the double angle identity for cosine to rewrite cos(2x) as 1 - 2sin^2(x). Then, use the product-to-sum identity for cosine to rewrite the right side of the equation as 1/2(cos(2x + x) + cos(2x - x)). This simplifies the equation to 1 - 2sin^2(x) = 1/2(cos(3x) + cos(x)).

What are the steps to solve the equation 4cos(2x) = 8sin(x)cos(x)?

The steps to solve the equation are:

1. Use the double angle identity for cosine to rewrite cos(2x) as 1 - 2sin^2(x).
  2. Use the product-to-sum identity for cosine to rewrite the right side of the equation as 1/2(cos(2x + x) + cos(2x - x)).
  3. Simplify the equation to 1 - 2sin^2(x) = 1/2(cos(3x) + cos(x)).
  4. Use the double angle identity for cosine again to rewrite cos(3x) as 1 - 2sin^2(1.5x).
  5. Substitute this into the simplified equation, resulting in 1 - 2sin^2(x) = 1/2(1 - 2sin^2(1.5x) + cos(x)).
  6. Use the quadratic formula to solve for sin(x) and find the solutions for x.

Is there a shortcut to solving this equation?

Yes, there is a shortcut using the double angle identity for cosine and the quadratic formula. The steps are:

1. Use the double angle identity for cosine to rewrite cos(2x) as 1 - 2sin^2(x).
  2. Substitute this into the original equation, resulting in 1 - 2sin^2(x) = 8sin(x)cos(x).
  3. Factor out sin(x) on the right side, resulting in 1 - 2sin^2(x) = 8sin(x)sin(x).
  4. Use the quadratic formula to solve for sin(x) and find the solutions for x.