5 blocks suspended from ceiling -- What are the tensions?

• Thread starter Ocata
  • Start date

Homework Statement

5 blocks connected by strings of negligible masses are suspended from a ceiling by a string of negligible mass. The strings and masses in order from bottom to top are M1, S1, M2, S2, M3, S3, M4, S4, M5, S5

M1 = 2kg
M2 = 1kg
M3 = 1kg
M4 = 2kg
M5 = 10kg

What are the tensions on S1, S2, S3, S4 and S5?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Net Force is 0 because the system isn't accelerating.

T_1 = (m_1)a = 2kg(g) = 19.6N
T_2 = (m_1)a + (m_2)a = 2kg+1kg(g) = 29.4N
T_3 = (m_1)a + (m_2)a + (m_3)a = 2kg+1kg(g) + 1kg(g) = 39.2N
T_4 = (m_1)a + (m_2)a + (m_3)a + (m_4)a = 2kg + 1kg(g) + 1kg(g) + 2kg(g) = 58.8N
T_5 = (m_1)a + (m_2)a + (m_3)a + (m_4)a + (m_5)a = 2kg + 1kg(g) + 1kg(g) + 2kg(g) + 10kg(g) = 156N

Supposing this is correct, if we treat all the blocks as one system, the force vector upward from M_5 pointing toward the ceiling and the force vector downward from M_1 pointing toward the ground would both be 156N, yes?

Answers and Replies

Supposing this is correct, if we treat all the blocks as one system, the force vector upward from M_5 pointing toward the ceiling and the force vector downward from M_1 pointing toward the ground would both be 156N, yes?
Well, in an extended-mass system (as opposed to a point-mass system), where does the force vector of gravity act?

Likes Ocata
SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

You have a system hanging from the ceiling. There is no M1 or M5 .

The ceiling exerts a force upward on the system. The system exerts a force downward on the ceiling .

Likes Ocata
You have a system hanging from the ceiling. There is no M1 or M5 .

The ceiling exerts a force upward on the system. The system exerts a force downward on the ceiling .

Oh, I think I see. Considering the system as a whole, the force of 156N points downwards from the bottom of the system and the force of 156N upwards is from the force of the ceiling on the top string, yes?

By the way, I am guessing the values for the individual tension are correct?

Additionally, I am interested is specifying the tension values and uploaded a diagram of this problem and would like to know if the tension values (T) at each connection point is correct.

Attachments

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Additionally, I am interested is specifying the tension values and uploaded a diagram of this problem and would like to know if the tension values (T) at each connection point is correct.
Yes, your tension values are correct.

The image is virtually impossible to read. -- very "washed-out" appearance.

Likes Ocata
Thank you SammyS,

I'll definitely make the contrast darker when I scan next time, thanks.

Regards