1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension Exercise on frictionless inclined plane

1. Dec 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass ##m_1## is attached to a second mass ##m_2 > m_1## by an Acme (massless, unstretchable) string. ##m_1## sits on a frictionless inclined plane at an angle ##\theta## with the horizontal; ##m_2## is hanging over the high end of the plane, suspended by the taut string from an Acme (frictionless, massless) pulley. At time ##t = 0## both masses are released from rest.
    a) Draw the force/free body diagram for this problem.
    b) Find the acceleration of the two masses.
    c) Find the tension T in the string.
    d) How fast are the two blocks moving when mass m2 has fallen a height H (assuming that m1
    hasn’t yet hit the pulley)?
    Immagine.png

2. Relevant equations
    Tension
    Newton's Second Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    First thing I drew the free body diagram this way:
    photo_2016-12-19_19-15-27.jpg
    Now I write the forces acting on both masses with Newton's Second Law, knowing that the accelerations of both masses are the same, so ##a = a_1 = a_2##.
    First mass:
    $$\begin{cases}
    F_{1 x} = m_1 a_x = T - m_1 g sin \theta \\
    F_{1 y} = m_1 a_y = N - m_1 g cos \theta = 0
    \end{cases}$$
    Second mass:
    $$\begin{cases}
    F_{2 x} = m_2 a_x = m_2 g sin \theta - T sin \theta \\
    F_{2 y} = m_2 a_y = m_2 g cos \theta - T cos \theta
    \end{cases}$$
    Now what I don't understand is how I find ##a_y##. Because the only way for ##m_1 a_y = 0## is that ##a_y = 0## but this would go in contrast with the fact that in the second mass ##a_y## is something, since the mass moves along the y-axis. Or it is ##0## because the mass moves at a constant speed? In that case I would have these:
    First mass:
    $$\begin{cases}
    a_x = \frac{T}{m_1} - g sin \theta \\
    N = m_1 g cos \theta
    \end{cases}$$
    Second mass:
    $$\begin{cases}
    a_x = g sin \theta - \frac{T}{m_2} sin \theta \\
    m_2 g cos \theta = T cos \theta
    \end{cases}$$
    With ##m_2 g cos \theta = T cos \theta## becoming ##T = m_2 g##.
    Is this way correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2016 #2
    I can't really see the details of your diagram too well, but why are you assuming that block 2 has an acceleration in the x-direction?

4. Dec 19, 2016 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

you do not have to use the same coordinate system for the two masses. You may use a vertical y axis for mass 2 in which case there are only forces along y for mass 2 and the equation is simple. The key point is to use indices to distinguish the accelerations of the two masses, you should use ##a_{x1}, a_{y1}, a_{x2},a_{y2}##. You should notice that then the values of ##a_{x1}## and ##a_{y2}## are not independent, they are related by a simple equation.

5. Dec 19, 2016 #4
    It's because I used the same diagram for both masses, so I end up having the second mass moving on the x-axis too.

But I've been taught that since the two masses are linked by a string, we should use one single coordinate system for both.
    Anyway, following your way, the first one remains the same and the second one becomes like this:
    $$\begin{cases}
    a_{x 2} = 0 \\
    a_{y 2} = g - \frac{T}{m_2}
    \end{cases}$$
    Being not independent because of the string, ##a_{x 1}## and ##a_{y 2}## are equal and so we have:
    $$\frac{T}{m_1} - g sin \theta = g - \frac{T}{m_2}$$
    With some passages I end up with:
    $$T = \frac{m_1 m_2}{m_1 + m_2} g (1 + sin \theta)$$
    Substituting this into one of the two I get the acceleration and substituting it into this equation ##v_f = \sqrt{2 a H}## I get the last point of the exercise.
    Am I right?

6. Dec 19, 2016 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted