Rotational Motion of blocks and string

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, m1=1kg and m2=2kg, connected by a string and a frictionless pulley. The radius of the pulley is 1m and its moment of inertia is 5kg*m^2. The acceleration of the system in g can be found by analyzing the forces on each mass and the pulley and applying Newton's 2nd law. The equations can then be solved together to find the acceleration and the tensions in the string.
tdusffx
Two blocks, m1= 1kg and m2 = 2kg, are connected by a light string as shown in the figure (the figure is just shows a pulley with 2 blocks on each sides). If the radius of the pulley is 1m and its moment of inertia is 5kg*m^2, the acceleration of the system in g is:

I have no idea how to do this problem...I tried U1 + K1 = Uf + Kf but it doesn't work because I have very few given information...

also, I couldn't aplly the (t1-t2)R = I(alpha) because its frictionless..so i don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's 2nd law

tdusffx said:
also, I couldn't aplly the (t1-t2)R = I(alpha) because its frictionless..
Sure you can. The pulley is frictionless, not massless.

You need to analyze the forces on each mass and the pulley. Apply Newton's 2nd law to each to get three (connected) equations. Solve them together and you can figure out the acceleration (and the two tensions).

so it doesn't matter if I make T1 positive or T2...the problem did not state whether its counter clockwise nor clockwise

and so the equation for the pulley is (t1-t2)R = I(alpha)

T1 = M1g
T2 = M2g

then I just plug and the numbers?

((19.6-9.8)(1))/5 = alpha

tdusffx said:
so it doesn't matter if I make T1 positive or T2...the problem did not state whether its counter clockwise nor clockwise
Doesn't matter.

and so the equation for the pulley is (t1-t2)R = I(alpha)
This is OK.

T1 = M1g
T2 = M2g

then I just plug and the numbers?
No. While the forces on M1, for example, are T1 and M1g, these forces are not equal. (If they were equal, the mass would not accelerate.)

Instead you have to carefully apply Newton's 2nd law to each mass (and the pulley) and then combine the equations.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion is typically seen in objects that rotate, such as planets, wheels, or spinning tops. In rotational motion, all points on the object move in circular paths around the axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around an axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. In rotational motion, the distance between two points on the object does not change, but the angle between them does. In linear motion, both the distance and angle between two points change.

3. How is rotational motion related to torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly proportional to the force applied to the object and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation. In other words, the greater the torque, the more an object will rotate.

4. What is the role of a string in rotational motion?

In rotational motion, a string is often used to transmit torque from one object to another. The string is wrapped around the objects in such a way that when one object rotates, the other object will also rotate. This is known as a pulley system and is commonly used in machines.

5. How is rotational motion related to angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates around an axis. It is defined as the change in angle over time. Angular acceleration, on the other hand, is a measure of how quickly the angular velocity of an object changes. It is directly proportional to the torque applied to the object and its moment of inertia.