1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

5-Week Summer Classes- Bad Idea?

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    7.5 hrs per week for 5 weeks
    vs.
    3 hours per week for 16 weeks?

But during the 16 week class I would be preoccupied with other classes and thus have less time to study.... What do you guys think?

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2012 #2
    Depends on the class. Which classes are you considering?

4. May 22, 2012 #3
    The class is called Probability 1

PROS:
    - More time to study Intro to Linear Algebra in the fall (my goal is pure math grad school so I feel building a good LA background is very important)
    - Perhaps a 5 week course will give an "immersion" type experience that will actually help me learn probability 1 better?

CONS:
    - Maybe the short time period will lead to constant cramming and poor retention/understanding
    - There is not really any other math class to take instead of probability in the fall since they all require LA as a prereq
    - If I fill the slot with a non-math class then I won't get the benefit of learning to handle 3 math classes in 1 semester (something I will definitely have to do down the line)

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  5. May 22, 2012 #4
    The summer-sessions aren't for everyone, but sometimes you have to look at the larger picture too: do you 'have to' take this class to stay on track and/or get ahead. If you can take it as a part of a normal schedule, that may be better. But... if it's credits #18-20 for a term, taking it during the summer will probably end up being a better experience for all of your classes.

Personally, I am taking Linear Algebra this summer as a 5-week class. I took the Engineering-LA class ~15 years ago, so this is going to be part refresher. I still want to enjoy bits of my summer, so this will give me time to golf and relax!

6. May 22, 2012 #5
    thanks for the response, mege.

Bumping this for more input.

7. May 22, 2012 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I took second semester Chemistry over a summer. I don't remember exactly how many weeks it was but it was super intense. In a normal semester, there would b 3 hours of lecture and 2 labs a week. In the summer version, we'd start each day with lecture, then a lab (everyday!). Then of course, several hours of homework and lab write-ups - both due the next day :eek:!

It's doable, just clear your schedule and don't fall behind. You have to keep on top of everything because if you start letting things slip, you're doomed.

Oh and don't skimp on sleep. It's impossible to learn when you have a sleep deficit.

5 weeks seems a bit short!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook