5-Week Summer Classes- Bad Idea?

In summary, if you're taking a math class in the fall and want to try out Probability 1, a 5-week class may be a good option. However, if you're struggling with other classes and want to take the class for more credits, a 16-week class may be a better option.
nickadams
7.5 hrs per week for 5 weeks
vs.
3 hours per week for 16 weeks?
But during the 16 week class I would be preoccupied with other classes and thus have less time to study... What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the class. Which classes are you considering?

Jorriss said:
Depends on the class. Which classes are you considering?

The class is called Probability 1

PROS:
- More time to study Intro to Linear Algebra in the fall (my goal is pure math grad school so I feel building a good LA background is very important)
- Perhaps a 5 week course will give an "immersion" type experience that will actually help me learn probability 1 better?

CONS:
- Maybe the short time period will lead to constant cramming and poor retention/understanding
- There is not really any other math class to take instead of probability in the fall since they all require LA as a prereq
- If I fill the slot with a non-math class then I won't get the benefit of learning to handle 3 math classes in 1 semester (something I will definitely have to do down the line)

Last edited:
The summer-sessions aren't for everyone, but sometimes you have to look at the larger picture too: do you 'have to' take this class to stay on track and/or get ahead. If you can take it as a part of a normal schedule, that may be better. But... if it's credits #18-20 for a term, taking it during the summer will probably end up being a better experience for all of your classes.

Personally, I am taking Linear Algebra this summer as a 5-week class. I took the Engineering-LA class ~15 years ago, so this is going to be part refresher. I still want to enjoy bits of my summer, so this will give me time to golf and relax!

thanks for the response, mege.Bumping this for more input.

I took second semester Chemistry over a summer. I don't remember exactly how many weeks it was but it was super intense. In a normal semester, there would b 3 hours of lecture and 2 labs a week. In the summer version, we'd start each day with lecture, then a lab (everyday!). Then of course, several hours of homework and lab write-ups - both due the next day :eek:!

It's doable, just clear your schedule and don't fall behind. You have to keep on top of everything because if you start letting things slip, you're doomed.

Oh and don't skimp on sleep. It's impossible to learn when you have a sleep deficit.

5 weeks seems a bit short!

What are 5-week summer classes?

5-week summer classes are academic courses that are condensed into a shorter time frame than traditional semester-long classes. These classes typically meet more frequently and have a more intense workload in order to cover the same material in a shorter amount of time.

Why might some people consider 5-week summer classes a bad idea?

Some people may consider 5-week summer classes a bad idea because the condensed schedule and heavy workload can be overwhelming for students who are used to a more traditional pace of learning. This can lead to burnout and lower grades.

Are there any benefits to taking 5-week summer classes?

Yes, there are benefits to taking 5-week summer classes. They allow students to complete courses more quickly and potentially graduate earlier, which can save time and money. They also offer a more focused learning experience since students are only taking one or two courses at a time.

What types of courses are typically offered in 5-week summer classes?

5-week summer classes can vary in subject matter, but they typically offer general education or introductory courses. These classes are designed to cover the fundamental concepts of a subject and are not usually advanced or specialized courses.

How can students prepare for the intensity of a 5-week summer class?

Students can prepare for a 5-week summer class by planning ahead and managing their time effectively. It's important to stay organized and prioritize studying and assignments. It may also be helpful to reach out to the instructor for any additional resources or study tips specific to the class.