50cm^3 of a mixture of CO, CO2 and H2 were exploded with 25.0cm^3

In summary, the problem involves a mixture of CO, CO2, and H2 that is reacted with O2 and then treated with aqueous KOH. The resulting volume decreases from 75cm^3 to 37.0cm^3 at r.t.p. It is assumed that the steam and carbon dioxide will be removed after treatment, leaving only oxygen. However, the exact composition of gases at the end is uncertain and may be affected by factors such as the presence of water vapor and the specific type of KOH treatment used.
elitewarr

Homework Statement

50cm^3 of a mixture of CO, CO2 and H2 were exploded with 25.0cm^3 of O2. After explosion, the volume measured at r.t.p. was 37.0 cm^3. After treatment with aqueous KOH, the volume was reduced to 5.0cm^3. Calculate the % composition by volume of the original mixture.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From this, I can safely assume that CO will react with O2 to form CO2
2CO + O2 --> 2CO2
and
2H2 + O2 --> 2H2O
and CO2 will not react with Oxygen.
When treated with KOH, the steam and carbon dioxide will all be removed. I assumed that 5.0cm^3 of oxygen is left. However, what I don't understand is how did the total volume of gas decrease from 75cm^3 (including oxygen) to 37.0cm^3?

Physics news on Phys.org

Is there any steam at r. t. p.? Water vapor? How much water vapor will there be after treatment with KOH? More? Less? The same? I assume that the KOH treatment is an aqueous solution of KOH but your instructor might have a different idea.

...However, what I don't understand is how did the total volume of gas decrease from 75cm^3 (including oxygen) to 37.0cm^3?

Three gases at the beginning. How many gases at the end (at r. t. p.)?

Hmm. Good question. Is there steam? If there isn't, then everything becomes complicated.
I guess the 'steam' will just stay with the KOH after treatment so that oxygen is the only gas that is left.
So, at the end, there is oxygen.
But I'm not that sure about that. Maybe not all carbon monoxide or hydrogen is reacted, so they may be collected? But, if I think it like that, I'm just complicating things.

1. What is the purpose of exploding a mixture of CO, CO2, and H2?

The purpose of exploding a mixture of CO, CO2, and H2 is to study the chemical reactions that occur between these gases and to determine the products of the explosion.

2. How much of each gas is included in the mixture?

The mixture contains 50cm^3 of a combination of CO, CO2, and H2. The exact amounts of each gas may vary depending on the experiment.

3. What is the volume of the mixture before and after the explosion?

The volume of the mixture before the explosion is 75.0cm^3 (50cm^3 + 25.0cm^3). After the explosion, the volume may change due to the formation of new products.

4. What factors could affect the results of the explosion?

The results of the explosion may be affected by the temperature of the gases, the ratio of gases in the mixture, the presence of a catalyst, and the conditions in which the explosion takes place.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when conducting an explosion with these gases?

When working with gases that can cause an explosion, it is important to follow proper safety precautions. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and following the proper procedures for handling and storing these gases.