Find out the molar fractions of all the involved gases

In summary, the graphite burns producing a mixture of CO and CO2 gases. The pressure inside the bottle increases by 17%.
TheSodesa

Homework Statement

[/B]
5,00 moles of graphite and 5,00 moles of oxygen gas are stored in a metal bottle. The temperature is raised until the graphite starts burning. The burning produces a mixture of CO and CO2 gases in the vessel. After the temperature had returned to it's original value (after the reaction), the pressure inside the bottle had increased by 17%. Find out the molar fractions of each of the gases inside the bottle when all of the graphite is used up in the reaction.

Correct answers: xO2 = 0,145; xCO = 0,291; xCO2 = 0,564

Homework Equations

xi = pi/ptotal = ni/ntotal, where x = molar fraction.

Dalton's law: Sum(pi) = ptotal

pV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by forming the chemical equation:

3C + 2O2 -> 2CO + CO2

From this I calculated that nCO = (2/3)nC = 10/3 mol and nCO2 = (1/3)nC = 5/3 mol ( since we know that C is the limiting reactant). We can also see that the amount of used up oxygen is nO2 = nCO = 10/3 mol, so the amount oxygen gas remaining in the bottle after the reaction is nO2g = 5mol - nO2 = 5/3 mol, so the total amount of gas in the bottle (after the reaction) would be 20/3mol.

Next I assumed that the volume of C is negligible, so V is constant. T is also constant between the initial and final stages.This means that:

V0 = V1 <=> n0/p0 = n1/p1
= n1/1,17p0 (From pV = nRT).

=> n1gas = 1,17n0gas = 1,17 * 5 mol = 5,85 mol. However, the value of n1gas does not equal the total amount of moles I got from adding up the individual amounts of the different gases, and I'm not sure what to do next. I don't see how I could use Dalton's law to my advantage here, since i can't actually calculate the pressures because I know nothing about the temperature or the volume of the bottle.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? I am aware that I might not even need the actual values of the pressures or moles since I'm supposed to find the percentages, but I just don't know how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 2 reactions occurring in parallel:

##C + O_2 ⇒ CO_2##
##C+\frac{1}{2}O_2⇒CO##

If x moles of C convert by the first reaction, then 5-x moles of C convert by the second reaction.

Chet

Chestermiller said:

##C + O_2 ⇒ CO_2##
##C+\frac{1}{2}O_2⇒CO##

If x moles of C convert by the first reaction, then 5-x moles of C convert by the second reaction.

Chet
Alright, I'm going to try this after I'm done cooking (and eating) dinner. I'll report back when I'm done/if I get stuck again.

Chestermiller said:

##C + O_2 ⇒ CO_2##
##C+\frac{1}{2}O_2⇒CO##

Chet

Alright, I'm back!
Turns out I was more tired than I though since I passed out in bed right after dinner so I couldn't get back to the problem before this morning. Anyways, your hint helped and I got the right answer, so thank you for that.

For future reference, should I always, always, always write separate chemical equations if I know that there are multiple reactions going on at the same time, even if they are drawing from the same pool of chemical(s) like C and O2 in this problem?

Last edited:
TheSodesa said:
Alright, I'm back!
Turns out I was more tired than I though since I passed out in bed right after dinner so I couldn't get back to the problem before this morning. Anyways, your hint helped and I got the right answer, so thank you for that.

For future reference, should I always, always, always write separate chemical equations if I know that there are multiple reactions going on at the same time, even if they are drawing from the same pool of chemical(s) like C and O2 in this problem?
I hate to answer "always" questions. Partly, it depends on the context of the problem statement. I would just use my judgement on the specific problem.

Chestermiller said:
I hate to answer "always" questions. Partly, it depends on the context of the problem statement. I would just use my judgement on the specific problem.

Got it. Thanks for the help.

1. What is the purpose of finding out the molar fractions of gases?

The molar fractions of gases refer to the proportion of each gas in a mixture, and it is important for understanding the chemical composition of a sample. This information is crucial in various scientific fields such as chemistry, environmental science, and atmospheric science.

2. How is the molar fraction of a gas calculated?

The molar fraction of a gas is calculated by dividing the number of moles of that gas by the total number of moles in the mixture. This can be represented as a decimal or a percentage, and it gives a relative measure of the concentration of a particular gas in a mixture.

3. What are the units of molar fraction?

The units of molar fraction are moles or grams per mole (mol/mol or g/mol). This unit represents the number of moles of a particular gas in a mixture per mole of the total mixture. It is a dimensionless quantity and is often expressed as a percentage.

4. How do you determine the molar fractions of gases experimentally?

To determine the molar fractions of gases experimentally, a sample of the gas mixture is collected and analyzed using different techniques such as gas chromatography or mass spectrometry. These methods separate and identify the different gases present in the mixture, allowing for the calculation of their molar fractions.

5. Can the molar fractions of gases change over time?

Yes, the molar fractions of gases can change over time due to various factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions. For example, in a closed system, the molar fractions of gases may change as a result of a chemical reaction between the gases. It is important to consider these factors when analyzing the molar fractions of gases in a sample.