68068 as difference of two squares

In summary: For example, if you know some basic properties of the integers, you can show that if a is odd then a(2x + a) is odd, and if a is even then a(2x + a) is even.In summary, the conversation discusses how to write 68068 as the difference of two squares. The solution involves breaking down the number into its prime factors and using a constraint involving the factors b and x+b. It is noted that in order to find the correct answer, the pairs (a,b) and (b,a) must be considered as a single pair, resulting in 8 possible solutions. The reason for this is due to the constraint and the fact that a must be even in order for
Robert Houdart

Homework Statement

In how many ways can 68068 be written as the difference of two squares?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let (x+a) * (x+a) -x*x =68068=2*2*7*11*13*17
a (2x+a) =2*2*7*11*13*17
As 2x+a is odd ⇒ a is even
∴a=2b
2b (2x+2b) =2*2*7*11*13*17
b (x+b) =7*11*13*17
x= (7*11*13*17) /b - b
Since 7*11*13*17 has 16 factors ∴ x has 16 different values
However, the book states 8 as the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you need to account for the pairs (x,b) (b,x) , since those would not be distinct differences of squares.

Likes Robert Houdart
i
RUber said:
It looks like you need to account for the pairs (x,b) (b,x) , since those would not be distinct differences of squares.
I guess you are right. (a, b) and (b, a) are repeated in my solution, taking pair (a,b) and (b,a) as a single pair yields 8 as the answer.

Robert Houdart said:
i

I guess you are right. (a, b) and (b, a) are repeated in my solution, taking pair (a,b) and (b,a) as a single pair yields 8 as the answer.

That's not quite the reason. Remember that you had factors b and x+b. That implies a constraint.

Could you please explain why 2x+a is odd

Rochette_rocket said:
Could you please explain why 2x+a is odd
If you're talking about these lines in post #1:
a (2x+a) =2*2*7*11*13*17
As 2x+a is odd ⇒ a is even
We have ##a(2x + a)## being equal to an even number.
If a were odd, then 2x + a would also be odd, and we would have an odd integer times another odd integer, which can't possibly multiply to make an even integer.
Therefore, a must be even.
All of this can be proven more rigorously than how I've stated things.

Last edited:

What is the concept of "difference of two squares"?

The difference of two squares refers to an algebraic expression in the form of a² - b², where a and b are integers. This expression can be factored into (a + b)(a - b), making it easier to solve and manipulate in mathematics.

How do you factor a difference of two squares?

To factor a difference of two squares, you can use the formula (a + b)(a - b) = a² - b². Simply plug in the values of a and b from the given expression and solve for the possible factors. For example, 16x² - 9 can be factored into (4x + 3)(4x - 3).

What is the significance of 68068 as a difference of two squares?

As a scientist, I would need more context to answer this question accurately. However, 68068 is not a perfect square and cannot be factored into two perfect squares, so it cannot be represented as a difference of two squares.

What are some real-life applications of the difference of two squares?

The difference of two squares can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. For example, in engineering, it can be used to find the difference between two forces acting on an object. In physics, it can be used to calculate the difference in energy between two particles. In computer science, it can be used in coding algorithms and data encryption.

What are some common mistakes made when factoring a difference of two squares?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to include the negative sign when factoring, incorrectly identifying perfect squares, and not considering all possible factors. It is important to carefully check the factors and ensure that they can be multiplied together to result in the original expression.