1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

90 Degree Angle between Earth, Mars, & the Sun?

1. Mar 13, 2018 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
    Struggling a bit in my astronomy class. Trying to understand ..Is there a way to make a 90 degree angle between Earth, Mars, and the Sun? Mars would be the vertex. Is there a simple basic answer? TIA
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2018 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are saying to put Mars at the 90 degree vertex, I think the answer is no. If you draw a line from the sun to Mars, and remembering that Mars is in a nearly circular orbit farther out from earth's nearly circular orbit, the 90 degree direction, either way from Mars, will be tangent to the path of the circular orbit of Mars, and can't possibly intersect earth's orbit, which is a circle with the same center (the sun) as the orbit of Mars. ## \\ ## I'm going to assume this is not a homework problem=homework problems need to go in the homework section, and the OP is required to fill out the homework template...
  4. Mar 13, 2018 #3
    Thank you!
  5. Mar 14, 2018 at 5:29 AM #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted