1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compare centripetal acceleration of Mars and Earth

Tags:
  1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is the centripetal acceleration of Mars in its orbit around the Sun larger or smaller than the centripetal acceleration of the Earth?

2. Relevant equations

I assume that the relevant equation is a=v[itex]^{2}[/itex]/r since you are trying to compare the centripetal accelerations of Mars and Earth, however it is supposed to be a concept question according to the book so no data or variables should be needed to answer the question.

3. The attempt at a solution

So i know that Mars is farther away from the Sun than the Earth is, so r is obviously greater for Mars. Therefore the perimeter of Mars' orbit around the sun is greater than the perimeter of the Earth's orbit around the Sun. What I am confused about is how to figure out the velocity of Mars, or Earth for that matter. Is the velocity not needed to answer the question and I am merely missing something, or can you just assume that because Mars is farther away from the Sun it has a greater centripetal acceleration based on a trend?

If I did anything against the forum rules/policies please forgive me as this is my first post on Physics Forums.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Considering the Earth only. The gravitational force between the sun and the earth provides the centripetal force for the Earth. Can you find an expression for this acceleration?

(Hint: What does the law of universal gravitation say?)

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    So with Newton's law of universal gravitation it's: F = [itex]\frac{G(m_{Earth})(m_{Sun})}{r^{2}}[/itex]?

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Right, so the centripetal acceleration of the Earth is therefore? (Newton's second law)

Do the same with Mars now.

6. Nov 7, 2011 #5
    so: m[itex]_{earth}[/itex]a = [itex]\frac{G*m_{Earth}*m_{Sun}}{r^2}[/itex]

divide by m[itex]_{Earth}[/itex]: a = [itex]\frac{G*m_{Sun}}{r_{Earth's Orbit}^2}[/itex]

Therefore for Mars the equation will be: a = [itex]\frac{G*m_{Sun}}{r_{Mars' Orbit}^2}[/itex]

7. Nov 7, 2011 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Right, so you can see that if you take aearth/amars then GMsun will cancel out.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #7
    So the only factor that matters when comparing the two centripetal accelerations is the radius of their orbits. Therefore Mars has a larger centripetal acceleration because its radius is larger. Is that right?

9. Nov 7, 2011 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

That should be correct.

10. Nov 7, 2011 #9
    Thanks, I really appreciate all of the help :smile:. I just thought that the solution would involve more than one variable.

11. Mar 5, 2012 #10
    wrong if radius is larger acceleration is less

12. Mar 6, 2012 #11

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Wrong about what?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook